Thread: Sleep in an upgraded B&W

Default Sleep in an upgraded B&W

I have a question about sleep. My machine doesn't seem to go into "deep sleep" the case fan stays on all the time, and I was wondering if there is an update/software patch/anything that will allow deep sleep. (I'm at work right now, and the computer is not, so here is the info I know) OS 10.3.3 in a Blue and White, originally 350 mHz G3, upgraded with an OWC G4 ZIF, hard drive is an upgrade--Western Digital I think, and there is a CDRW I removed from a PC, although I have the original Apple DVD player that I could but back in if there is a chance that is causing the problem.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Default Deep Sleep

Deep Sleep wasn't invented yet ;-)

Advanced low-power mode requires later model G4 and even then there are PCI cards and USB devices that can prevent deep sleep. The hardware won't, there's no fix or update. A G4 MDD ($1099+) will and is a 300% + jump up from fully loaded Blue G3 (I have both, and use one for testing things out first, or as backup).

Just make sure you have our RAM or Crucial's (8 nanosecond or 7.5), put your WD on an ATA controller, and it handles 10.3.3 pretty well if I may say so.

Put the B&W in another room and run video cord was my solution to have peace and quiet.

Default I was afraid so

Thanks TZ, you seem to have the answers to all my questions.

I knew that a Beige G3 wouldn't do deep sleep, and I was hoping that the Blue and white would, oh well. Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm afraid it will have to do for now--I donated it to my community theatre, where I'm the tech guy, and community theatres are not known for deep pockets (nor am I). My G4 AGP Graphics goes into deep sleep (or at least it sleeps deeply enough that there are no fans or other obvious things running besides the LED on the front) so when I get a new machine at home I'll pass it on.

Default btw, any near-silent options for beige DT?

Well, reading this thread I thought I might ask sth. else. My beige DT's power supply is rather noisy and since no deep sleep is supported I thought I might replace it with a ''silent'' ATX power supply -I think it's possible. Could someone confirm it is safe to do so? Are there any specific suggestions (brands, models etc.)?
    Thanx a lot,
    Fotis

Tongue A milder sort of Beige

Don't take my word for it without getting any other opinions, but I don't think there is anything wrong with the power supply you will get out of an ATX that would hurt your Beige, in fact you probably would get more reliable performance from a new ATX supply. You will run into a problem finding a power supply to fit into the case--the size and shape of the space Apple left is unusual--and the power fan provides the only cooling in the case. Apple designed the placement of the processor so that it would be in the major airflow path through the case, eliminating the need for an extra cooling fan attached to the heatsink. I think they didn't really need much help cooling at all, so this solution worked and avoided making the thing even noisier than it already was. So you would need to consider the fan placement/airflow issue, especially if you have upgraded your processor. I had a G4 upgrade in my Beige for a while and it did generate significant heat.

So it may be impossible to find a power supply upgrade that will fit in the old case, but I have heard of people removing all the parts from a beige G3 and fitting them into a PC case with an ATX power supply.

Mark

The Sonata "quite case" case is almost perfect for a Beige G3 mobo, at least the MT. You could look at used Beige, OWC has some. And, of course, www.xlr8yourmac.com has tips and instructions.