Thread: Upgrade path for B/W G3

I have just procured a B/W G3/300 MHz rev. 1, stock with two 64 MB RAM sticks. I am pondering upgrading with a faster Zif processor but I want to remain OSX compatible and keep costs down (if I decide to upgrade I will also need more RAM and that will more than double my investment so far). I don't see any options here at the store and would like advice as to what avenue I might pursue.
    living in a powder keg and giving off sparks

How about this?

XLR8 ZIF
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

As an aside, I have an XLR8 500 G4 ZIF in my B&W. It runs OSX flawlessly. And in testing of the PowerLogix 900 G3 ZIF I would have to say the 500 G4 was at least as fast if not faster in most of the uses I tested with. I ended up going back to the G4.

The 550 will most likely run at 600 reliably. Upclocking an XLR8 ZIF s the easiest procedure on the planet with two jumpers on the ZIF card itself to reset.

I will stand up for XLR8 as the manufacturer of the highest quality, most reliable and best supported products made. I unreservedly recommend them for all Mac acceleration since XLR8 doesn't do it if they can't do it right.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

The old 7400 G4/500 was when Apple/MOTO couldn't get beyond 500 MHz G4s and the L2 cache doesn't get up past 250MHz. After almost 3-4 yrs mine can almost run @ 550 MHz, but not reliable enough.

RAM is getting downright expensive - and you'll need to toss your 64MB RAM anyway. It is substandard to specs. www.crucial.com or 'Gurus will sell you RAM that you can rely on.

I would go easy on upgrading even though G4/500 B&W can do Panther quite nice, it can be $300 minimum investment and likely twice that in the end. RAM, CPU, PCI controller (a MUST! for rev 1s), new hdd, and better video card.

Ricks, I tried to find this link at the store but, somehow kept going around and around and back to the home page. Anyway, this is the upgrade I was looking for. I've got the Carrier Zif in my 7500 and I like the xlr8 stuff. Does this upgrade require a fan?
    TZ - yea, we're talking some bucks, and then the almost free computer is not so free. But, at least I already have the PCI controller and a good seagate drive. I might even try and talk a Radeon out of someone. It's still madness!
    living in a powder keg and giving off sparks

I am not running a fan with mine. The fan kits are certainly a way to get a cooler running CPU and cool=long lived. That is a fact. At least the cost of the fan kits is low..

R
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by TZ
    The old 7400 G4/500 was when Apple/MOTO couldn't get beyond 500 MHz G4s and the L2 cache doesn't get up past 250MHz. After almost 3-4 yrs mine can almost run @ 550 MHz, but not reliable enough.

RAM is getting downright expensive - and you'll need to toss your 64MB RAM anyway. It is substandard to specs. www.crucial.com or 'Gurus will sell you RAM that you can rely on.

I would go easy on upgrading even though G4/500 B&W can do Panther quite nice, it can be $300 minimum investment and likely twice that in the end. RAM, CPU, PCI controller (a MUST! for rev 1s), new hdd, and better video card.
    Don't forget the firewire problems in the Smurfs, especially the Rev1 machines. There is a Sonnet Tempo Trio card that is ATA/FW400/USB2 all in one, but the price of it is more than the price of an ATA controller and a separate FW/USB2 card, but it saves one slot. If you can scare up a FW module from a Yikes! machine it will swap out for the one in a Smurf, but finding one may not be that easy.

we have had those firewire problems. what a pain in the ass.

recently upgraded the cpu to the 700 mhz. great upgrade. runs so nice now.

we have a variety of macs at our studio, and this upgraded BW (or smurf now keep up with others...
    First Computer: TRS80 w/16k of RAM

Cool PowerLogix G3 1.0 GHz for 'Smurf

I'm thinking it might be nice to pop for 1.0 GHz for my Beige with the $349 PowerLogix - no L3 cache that I see but it does have 1MB L2 @ 1:1 so it should run sweet.

Anyone know or see reason to hold off for another month or two? I think there might and WORRIED about going with PowerLogix upgrade.

Also, they plan to have a nice upgrade for cube:

The PowerForce G4 Series 100 card includes 2MB of L3 cache, and it runs at 100MHz bus speed.

Feature List: PowerForce G4 Series 100
    - 7457 @ 1.35 GHz
    - 512K of L2 @ 1.35 GHz
    - 2Mb of L3 cache
    - 100MHz bus operation
    - Low speed, low noise Panaflo cooling fan

Compatible with: PowerMac G4 Cube

OS Compatibility: Mac 9.2.2; Mac OS X 10.2.8 or later
    PowerLogix 1.3 Cube upgrade