Thread: ATA drive formating on G3 mini tower...

Confused ATA drive formating on G3 mini tower...

Is there a limit to the size a 233 G3 mini tower can 'see' ?
    I got a Western Digital 200gig ATA drive yesterday and I can't get it to see more than 128gigs. First tried OS 9.2 then 10.2.8 (booting from the CD)

Any one have a suggestion?

Sandra

Sandra,

Tis true. Any Mac previous to the Mirrored Drive Door G4 is incapable of indexing more than 128 GB of drive unless you install an ATA133 host card. The problem is that ATA33 and ATA66 buses index in 28 bit, there are only 128 GB of available index. ATA133 and some ATA100 buses index in 48 bit which can index virtually any index size.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Rolleyes opps,

processor is 266 not 233

I'll trade you straight across for one of my 80s.

J/K

That 200 deserves to run at a faster speed than the stock bus can provide anyway. Host cards are cheap.

Good to see you here BTW!

Default ATA drive size

it's in master mode... couldn't find anything on Apple's site that give the max size ... no firmware updates for it except with a SCSI PCI card.

while I'm at it... anyone know how to kill a damaged file download that refuses to be trashed or moved in OS 10.2? Two Macromedia trials errored out and keep claiming to be in use - I deleted the Explorer download mrg log entries, ran DiskWarrior an even restared from my firewire drive... still no luck. Would try restarting in Classic but the G4 Powerbook doesn't like that.

OS 9 can't address more than 195GB but that shouldn't be a problem once you get the proper controller. Sonnet Trio if you don't have a Rev C is handy.

Panther Cache Cleaner makes it easy to open /tmp or /private and that is where swf (shockwave flash player files get downloaded to there and placed in /tmp/501

I think flash files shouldn't, but that's me. I turn it off unless I really need to. I think I have had more trouble with Safari and flash.