Thread: XLR8/Daystar CPU Clarification?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default XLR8/Daystar CPU Clarification?

In looking at the line of XLR8 products wondering which is the best for the B&W? Would it be the G4/550 or the 7410LE at 500-->600? Does anyone know if the 550 is a 550 rated chip or is it the same as the 500/600 chip. Which chip clocks better. Thanks!

I have read of people beening real happy with the 550 processor and some are overclocking to 600 just fine.

I haven't had time to upgrade the page yet but the 550 G4 that we are carrying is now going to be marketed as 500/600. And it is better because the backside cache is larger and faster. The cache is the whole reason the G4 is what it is. And comparisons of CPUs MUST include L2 and L3 cache performance or the comparison is useless. CPU speed is almost of less priority than cache size and speed.

Larry's going to be unhappy when we finally get the marketing rolling.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Ricks,

How does that compare to the older XLR8 g4/500 7400 series CPU? Thx.

>>
    How does that compare to the older XLR8 g4/500 7400 series CPU? Thx.

the g4/500 was limited to 250 MHz for the L2 cache and was impossible to reliably OC above 500 MHz for cpu. the 7410 has been more flexible, sometimes over time running 24//7 to eek out faster speeds, using cooling, higher voltage to help boost performance. I think there are other more significant differences in depth and number of pipes.

I wonder if MOTO still makes a 7410 or are these all just what was produced in the past?

If only the faster 7455Bs were possible, but trying to create faster and dual G4s was part of what consumed and exhausted XLR8 in the past, and inability of MOTO to come out with affordable chips for 3rd party upgrade market.

I paid about $349 (after $50 credit) for G4/500 at one time, 7400 G4/500, and it is still running solid, even able to get 533-550 with some work.

One of the biggest difference is the multiplier, the 7400 would only do 9X. The 7410 will do much higher. The backside is 1 MegaByte at 250 to 300 MHz.

The 7410 must still be in production since I had a discussion came about in regards to the Lombard G3 upgrade. The cost of a G4 upgrade was going to be higher because the newer 7410 was necessary due to power use/heat issues (the same thing really)

The 7410 is a much cleaner and more mature cpu. The power use is way down because the tolerances are much higher. This allows higher speeds as well.

This weekend I'll redo the G4 XLR8 page to reflect the 600 capability. Same product as the 550 is now though.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin