Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thank you Rick & Laurie

Default Thank you Rick & Laurie

Just back in town and glad to see the migration has come off so well, no problems for me here now. Many thanks for this the best, the friendliest and most useful Mac Tech Forum. Well done.
    biggles

The kind words are appreciated. We've been having fun. And believe me, canceling our contract with InfoPop was a real pleasure as well. Can't say as I'll miss em. The new forum appears to work on almost any browser except maybe Safari. TZ has reported more than a few bugs there. OmniWeb for OSX users is a perfect delight.

Sharing my day here with my friends and colleagues is what makes it all worth it. You guys and gals make my day. First thing when I get to the computer is stop here and see what's happening.

Laurie is delighted that these forums were so well designed, from the data base standpoint of course A database geek like her doesn't notice so much the insignificant issues such as usability and user interface. Appearance is of only minor importance. It is the very proper database manipulation that has her so happy. She says it is the first time she has ever seen this good of a implementation of a database protocol where you can replace whole sections and it still works. In her world moving 600,000 items of information around and resorting it for a different database structure in 20 minutes is all in a normal days work.

And believe me when I say this move going off successfully was entirely her doing. She is an incredible genius and I am in awe. I can only sit and make stupid animal noises when she is practicing her art. Any tribute is rightly hers since really all I do is carry water for her.

Thanks again for the kind words. We are really glad the forums are working again. Big sigh of relief.

Rick

Da Boss.

molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Tongue Safari's just fine...

for info, using 10.3.3/Safari1.2.1 all previous Java-related problems now gone away, I've pushed every button I can find on the forum and it all works just fine. Splendid!
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Red face Browser's supported

Which reminds me that I think a list of known browsers that work or not with forums, store, and under which operating system is in need or would be in order.

I can't figure out why Safari 1.2.1 is trouble, usually it has been very reliable, but only having to login each time, so "minor annoyance."

Mozilla/Firefox - trouble with tables and display but very usable. Under OS 9, version 0.9.1 crashed but 1.2.1 - the latest and which we had a link to - worked well.

OmniWeb 4.5: yes 5.0b5: no

--------------

Sorting half a million records, amazing. It does help to access it, search for nuggets of gold in all that, and have it served up quickly and in your favorite browser.

And no longer 'proprietary' software or database.

Can't figure out how to quote yet...

"can't figure out why Safari 1.2.1 is trouble, usually it has been very reliable, but only having to login each time, so "minor annoyance."

Same deal here on Safari- plus the login screen you get from hitting the 'reply' button at the bottom of a post doesn't seem to work at all.

The forums look very nice and R & L- youse guys did an awesome job of moving it so quickly- I can only imagine bein a database novice myself..!

Quote Originally Posted by Boots
    Can't figure out how to quote yet...
    Ok duh. Just figured it out...the quote button!

I'm hanging in there with the latest Mozilla build. So far the new forum is much better with it than the last version of eve.

Only prob I noticed is a slight rendering/frame problem when posting a reply -- with reply option set to the middle level. The 'box' just under 'Message' -- the main editor box where I'm now typing -- doesn't render properly if the window is too narrow. The editor box will stickout to right while the surrounding boxes collapse down. On my 15" screen, it's o.k. at the limit: nearly full width of the screen, as my dock is a thin strip on the right. But if I narrow the window about a inch, the rendering problem begins.

Default Safari

FYI - I am not having any problems with Safari 1.2.1 a QS 733 and OS 10.3.3 with logging in or replying.

Eric,

You need a 21 inch monitor. Or better yet, an Apple 22inch Cinema. It just has to be. Tell the wife I said so, huh?

R

(PS,been real nice knowin you if that goes badly)

(PPS, living on Italian cooking has probably made your life expectancy somewhere in the weeks range anyway, might as well live life to its fullest)
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

You need a 21 inch monitor. Or better yet, an Apple 22inch Cinema. It just has to be.
    Yeah, either would be nice. My 15" is the Apple B/W 15" on the adjustable pedistal. 2d Apple LCD ever made, which was just a reskinned version of the first. Quite the bomb for its day, and set me back around aa grand. Eeks, shutter to think what that would get me now.

I am feeling cramped with this, esp. when dabbling in FCP. The 20" is a tad out of my range. But I can get some decent/very good 3d-party 17"-18" LCDs that are cheaper than Apple's 17". But the only problem with new monitors and Macs is that the wife can *see* those easily. HDs, cards, CPU upgrades, cables, and sw re much easier to sneak by in my house.

Thumbs up Love it!

Love it, love it!

Rick and Laurie, you are the best! Talk about a company that listens to it's customers and then actually does something about it! I have usually come in with some whiny-ass complaints (you know, font size not right, etc.), but this time I have nothing but compliments!! The bb is awesome, in every way. I even get to customize my list with last post first!

BTW, I wanted to chime in that I am using Safari 1.2.1 in OS 10.3.3 and I have seen no problems at all.

As I've said before and I gladly say it again, this site has more than once saved my butt and taught me more than any other source how to understand and utilize my Mac hardware and software. I was totally in the dark before. I haven't even needed your help lately! (but I may be asking about a RAID (!) for my Photoshop work in the near future.

And if you ever need any graphics help, I would be more than happy to pitch in.

Oh, no! I just noticed something rather alarming - I am now a Senior Member??? How did that happen? Makes me sound old!! (I may be, but you don't have to tell everyone!)
    Last edited by rebecca; 04-23-2004 at 09:21 PM. Reason: just noticed something!

... all this, and up and running in under a week, too!

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca
    Oh, no! I just noticed something rather alarming - I am now a Senior Member??? How did that happen? Makes me sound old!! (I may be, but you don't have to tell everyone!)
    Har, har. You've been around here a while... you deserve it. Maybe we can change it to Senior Guru, or Member in Good Standing. Suggestions?

We have been wracking our brains looking for a new idea. Started out with maybe white belt, brown belt black belt. Moved on to other things. Haven't had a good idea yet for member names. The system is really good here for promoting via different methods. Be nice to have something different....

Thanks for the kind words. We are working on the artwork all the time. We'll keep on configuring the forum and see where it leads.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Ripper -- no, no, I will never be a Guru!! Senior Member is just fine for now, until you guys come up with something creative. ;-) I will wrack my brain for inspiration...

Wannabe Guru?

Talking

(in the context of this thank you thread) ...This place is like a monastery in the wired to me. I can bask in the archeotechnical wisdom of you (rightly named) gurus. ...Seriously ...So yeah, thank you all.

We are working on the artwork all the time. We'll keep on configuring the forum and see where it leads.
    Am I the only one who misses the old "peoples rebublic / workers revolution" style graphics the site used to have more of. They gave me that "united against the evil empire" feeling. Just my humble opinion, but the brush script logo really needs some work. After the migration, I thought it must just be temporary, but I guess it has caught on. The old Bolshevik propaganda banner was much more alluring, and a classy piece of art at that.

Thoughts?

One way or the other, Macgurus will do battle against the empire of evil and the way it turns the unwashed masses into drones. But the old faux soviet stuff had to go. A couple of practical reasons for that, a major one is the youthful customer base we wish to attract and women. The two groups almost universally disliked or frequented the site in spite of the old art. America's youth doesn't understand it. Our revisionist schools haven't given them much understanding of the world anyway, and the soviet concept would mostly be equated with a put down attempt at moral and intellectual perfection according to today's idiocy in academia. And women found it either intimidating, as that of a MAN's PLACE, or annoying and beneath them. The universal women's reaction has been pretty much negative or at best neutral.

I loved the style as well, in its time. We want/need a place that is very friendly to all, comfortable is more important right now than really different, off the wall and counter culture.

The old Gurus style mixed some great images with some tougher elements. Here's an example:

I don't think we can go back there.

We are in the process of hiring, conceptualizing and drafting ideas for Gurus graphics. The new stuff WILL be interesting. It will be memorable and it will take us where we have never been before. It must.

And you are absolutely correct, there is no art whatsoever at this point. All it is is fonts. We have to step it up if we want to survive. Been a rush just to build the system that runs a store and forum. Now that it is getting in place we can look at this kind of thing.

Thanks for you interest and input. I just wanted to take the time to let you know we aren't stopping in place. Your future thoughts are also wanted and required. If you see something you like or deplore, bring it on. That's the only way we can learn and make good choices.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I miss 'em too.

Please tell me you still have those images in a vault somewhere...although I accept your logic Ricks, I don't have to like it. Are you sure we can't educate the masses about recent history and Macs?

Too much?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I have saved everything. MacTheRipper has saved everything. The little red and black MacGurus logo came to me from BareFeats last week when I setup to have a new advertising agreement. He had that in his files. I had never seen it before. So I saved it as well. Ask a gal you know if she would go into a helpful site with images like that though.

I don't know. I am no art critic. Laurie is the one who really put her foot down on some of them. She used the word 'hate' in describing the SCSI logo. Hard to argue with that.

Here's the old forum logo:

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Wading in where I don't belong..

I like the little red and black logo, seems to say 'rock solid' . I also like the Doom one, sort of got a smile out of it, reminded me of something from back in the late 60's early 70's?

No matter what you go with, it will be class, just like the Gurus on the list.