Thread: Pismo component troubleshooting: advice?

Default Pismo component troubleshooting: advice?

have a Pismo that is exhibiting some classic 'my Pismo is a doorstop' symptoms. No powerup, no lights on the battery, no response to letting it charge for 48 hours or resetting the power manager. I've tried everything, including a known-good power adaptor and full disassembly with manually reseating every cable.

At this point the problem has to be the sound, power supply, PMU, logic board, or CPU. Anyone have any idea how I can narrow this list down without an expensive trial and error replacement of parts?

Much thanks.

I wish I had a good idea how to accomplish what you are looking to do. If it was mine I would make a little different choice here, I would consider whether an upgrade would be worth it as a method of diagnostics.

I do not want to sound like I only want to spend your money here. My first thought when I read your post was that an XLR8 Pismo upgrade includes a diagnostic. If repairs are needed then XLR8 would contact you with an estimate. If you have a wish for not only a running Pismo but a fast Pismo this might be a good choice.

XLR8 has virtually every last part in stock for the Pismo. Their prices are frequently 1/3 of what a normal Apple supplier would charge. And I have yet to EVER get a negative comment about XLR8's service, quality or the the increase in performance gotten from their upgrades. And I mean that. In most cases I get back effusive praise for the products, services and treatment of their (and our) customers. Not one single negative, not once.

At least you don't have to wonder what I think of XLR8

Just one suggestion. Your plight doesn't have a simple solution since the Apple Service Manual itself would just recommend modular parts replacements until the problem was found.

Best of luck to you,

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Lightbulb

Howdy-

Ricks is right about the service manuals, but there are sometimes nuggets in 'em too.....

I'll dig a bit and post back tomorrow if I can find a nugget.

You guys are too kind, thanks to you both.

Rick, the XLR8 upgrade does sound like a good deal. The CPU is the likely culprit here... it does die on Pismos, and the fact that i have 1 GB of RAM in there instead of the recommended 512 does seem like I'm asking for a heat-related failure.

I'd still like to be able to eliminate the CPU as the source of trouble before I buy a new one entirely... but I might just go for it anyway.

FWIW, this is from the Service Manual for bronze PBs:

Computer won't power up

1 - Restart computer by pressing the reset button on the back of the unit. Wait five seconds and press the power on key.

2 - Try known-good power adapter.

3 - Try known-good, firmly seated, charged battery. Repeat once.

4 - Connect power adapter and restart computer in 3-4 minutes.

5 - Disconnect internal keyboard completely and try powering up unit. If unit powers up, replace keyboard.

6 - Verify that microprocessor card is seated firmly in connector.

7 - Replace sound card.

8 - Replace power supply card.

9 - Replace microprocessor board.

10 - Replace I/O logic board.

Good luck.