Thread: Experiences with Sonnet g4 800?

I'd like to hear some thoughts from people with this card. I've only seen a couple reports from people and most just talk about the probs with it and Radeon cards or UT (other forums too). Does anyone use it in a loaded six-slot with Final Cut Pro, Nuendo, Pro Tools, DVD Studio Pro, etc? I've been a little biased against Sonnet for a/v stuff, but now with the g4 800, I'm thinking of giving it a shot. Any reason not to? Thanks.

[This message has been edited by despaxas (edited 06 February 2003).]

Did you read what 9600/350 upgrade thread and the upgrade reports on www.xlr8yourmac.com - some of the bias with Sonnet, from their marketing of some cpu's perhaps? ie, a chip's rating is based on environmental temperature, voltage, as to what MHz it can run at. I've owned a number of Sonnet products over the last 6 yrs from Centris to 7100 and some 7300's as well as newer systems without trouble.

I'd think getting a G4 AGP or newer, and upgrading that, would make more sense - if not an outright new 1GHz or better - or DP867. Five slots and none of the hassle.

....and I was just reading an old thread ("vintage" I think?) where ricks was talking about "upgradeitis" .....fun but not always cost effective...[who has those 16mb modules for a IIfx?!!!!]

I've been testing Kaye's G4/800. It seems to be pretty solid except that it appears to be incompatible with the Atto UL2D. Other than that, I haven't been able to make it hiccough.

Someone said something on xlr8yourmac about dual channel scsi cards and needing more startup path entries or something than was available during startup for the boot loader and firmware.

I have a 7300 and can use my Rage128 OEM but I had been using an ATTO card in there as well. Putting a G4/700 for $279 at some point would be nice and probably the last upgrade, use the $100 a G4/800 would cost to upgrade the RAM and Tempo Trio. Maybe $600 is excessive for such an old workhorse that I paid $100 for! and better spent on a totally new G4.

"... I've been testing Kaye's G4/800. It seems to be pretty solid except that it appears to be incompatible with the Atto UL2D. Other than that, I haven't been able to make it hiccup. ..."

I am curious about this. I am stuck in a quandary where there really is nothing good for the beige anymore since the 550 went off the market. And, I still have a 9600 with 512 megs of ram, a firewire card, usb, OEM B&W video card.

But I can not get Jaguar to install on the 9600 with XPostfacto. I am told that Sonnet's X install program is much more reliable for unsupported installs and I plan to spend the $30 at some point as a final last ditch effort to find out if this could work. But, Sonnet won't support 9.2 in the G4/800/700 cards. And yet, Sonnet sells a hack software piece that allows installation of an unsupported Jaguar on the 9600. This really confuses me....

And so, until I feel satisfied that my 9600 will even take Jaguar, I remain off the fence about the G4/800/700. But I would love to hear some subjective, updated info on actually using the system. Especially with iMovie, Director and other altivec stuff. Does the 50 MHz bus pop up it's head? Or does it just "feel" really fast?

Have you any experience with a 550 G4 in a Beige (over clocked)? And, can you compare that with the 9600 G4/800/700? Thanks. - lb

Thanks all, I think I'll go ahead and give it a shot at the end of next week. I'll post the results and keep my fingers crossed.

LB,

Interesting thing re: XpostFacto.

I Carbon Copy Cloned my Quicksilver's drive and put it into my 9600. I just wanted to see if it would boot up. It never got through the boot, so I figured I'd just smoke the harddrive and use xpostfacto to reinstall Jag. Thing was, in OS 9, it wouldn't let me erase the OS X drive because it kept saying that files were open on it.

So I figured I'd just install the XpostFacto files necessary to boot off the Jag CD and erase the drive using Jag's Drive Utility. Funny thing was, when I rebooted, it started up on the OS X volume!

Maybe if you have a new world Mac you can try to clone the drive and get it to boot off the 9600 that way.

-Anthony

I have the Sonnet G4 800 in my 8500 running OS 9.1
    It's been fast and reliable though I've had real problems getting any kind of sound card to work properly and after a clean re-install I've discovered hard drive errors so it may or may not be the Sonnet card. Other cards on PCI bus are Sonnet Ata/100, and USB card. Waiting for new drive to see if problems are related to the drive or the processor.
    I'll post follow-up.

K.S.

I've been very happy w/ the Sonnet G4/800 in my 7300. It's been solid & stable in OS 9.1. I also have tried it w/OS 9.2.2 using the "OldWorld" hack from OS9Forever.com to install and it was fine the few days I played with it.

RE: OSX Jaguar -- I actually tested the Sonnet out beforehand in my 7600 under both 9.1 and Jaguar before I moved it to the 7300. The only thing that caused problems in 9.1 was accessing the 7600's built-in video capture-- freeze every time. Then I installed Jaguar to an External SCSI drive that already had 9.2.2 on it using XPostFacto 2.2.5.

It went perfect -- other than the Sonnet card the 7600 was completely stock -- And I was pretty impressed with the overall performance, even with the 2MB on built-in VRam. I then added a generic PC firewire card w/ the TI chipset, and a generic PC 10/100 Ethernet card w/ the RealTek8139 chipset. The Apple drivers are the TI drivers, so the Firewire card was Plug & Play. RealTek has OS9 & Jaguar drivers on their website, and it was 99% -- for some reason the OSX Retrospect 5 Client would sometimes lose connection w/ my backup server. It was fine in 9.1

I then swapped the Sonnet into the 7300 and hooked up the external SCSI drive to it as well. Booted into Jag no problem w/ the XPostFacto. The only thing keeping me from using Jag more often is the issue w/ the Miles2 card only being able to access from OS9 or OSX, and I don't like thr prospect of flashing/backflashing the firmware everytime I switch OS's

System Specifics:
    PowerMac 7300
    OS 9.1 / 9.2.2 / Jaguar 10.2.4
    1 Gig RAM
    Miles2 LVD w/36Gig IBM UltrastarLZX U160 10,000K
    Seagate Barracuda 18 Gig 50 pin
    ATI RageOrion
    Generic TI Firewire Card
    upgraded CD to Apple 24x CDROM to read CDRW's
    External SCSI DDS3 DAT
    External SCSI Yamaha 8x8x24 CDRW
    External U2LVD RAID 0 w/ 2 Hitachi 36 Gig U160 10,000K drives --
    Formatted w/ AttoExpress Tools 65 MB/sec SR & 30MB/Sec SW

Manny

To those that have this card, could you post some Altivec Fractal Benchmark results and Guagepro Memory Throughput. Like to see how this compares. I just take the time to create the first fractal, without any changes.

On my B&W G4 550 I get

Altivec Fractal 7.5 Seconds - 1790.4 megaflops

Guagepro 150 MB / second

Thanks in advance

kb,

I did a whole series of tests of the Sonnet G4-800 in a PTP and posted results here http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000228.html

Note that the topic is three pages long. My results are scattered throughout. Considerably better results with Altivec Fractal Carbon but much less with GaugePro because of the slower bus speed on my PowerTower Pro, 50MHz, about half of yours. Note the tests I did with Memory Bench however, pretty good for an old machine, as well as the other tests and comparisons.

I just got the Sonnet card back from Guru Moderator Trag who has been testing it in a variety of machines and for compatibility with a variety of PCI cards. I want to install it in the PTP again and test iMovie 2 in OS9.1 to see if that works and if so how speedy it is. k

kaye,

thanks for the link. I figured the memory bandwidth would be less due to the slower bus. I'll check out that other topic.

THanks