Thread: Best FPM/EDO RAM for Overclocking?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I've been trying as hard as I can to overclock my 8600 as much as I can (system is pretty damn fast, but a bit flakey, now at 550Mhz, sure beats my iMac!). I have been using OWC's 128MB FPM (non-converted parts) DIMMs, and can do a 55Mhz bus flakely and run into memory problems. I remember a while ago the Guru RAM being boasted as using all Mosel Vitelic chips. Any idea if those are more overclocking tolerant than the Micron chips on the OWC sticks I'm using now? Any idea whether FPM or EDO would be preferable in overclocking? TIA.

Mactacular,

You didn't tell us anything about where you've started from. I presume you've overclocked a 500Mhz daughtercard.

"Better" memory won't neccesarily fix your overclocking instability.Tweaking your machine with different RAM sticks could be an expensive proposition.

The 8600 originally shipped with EDO RAM, so you will likely get the best results with EDO RAM. I can't speak to your question about the chipsets used by the build house on RAM purchased from MacGurus, but I can tell you there is a great deal of scrutiny in the quality of the build. If you decide to try some EDO sticks, buy in pairs for best results in interleaving.

Are you already using LVD SCSI drive(s) for your HD media? If not, backing off your CPU until you reach stability, and then upgrading your SCSI to Miles 2 and Cheetahs will yeild more of a performance boost than tweaking your CPU.

Best regards,

c8

I'm running an Apple OEM 500Mhz/1MB G3 ZIF on an XLR8 Carrier Card @ 550Mhz, everything will run perfectly stable until I get into situations where a lot of memory thrashing is going on, and then end up dropping into MacsBug.

As for diskspace, I'm still using my VST Ultratek/66 PCI with a 46GB IBM Deskstar 75GXP (performance is very poor, 25MB/sec max reads, 11MB/sec max writes)/(No OSX support bites, I have to use OSX off of my 2GB stock, slow SCSI drive). Would I see a large performance improvement from going to a Miles2/Granite/Cheetah setup? Disk performance sucks really bad on here.

Hi there Mactacular,

Sorry about the delay............ I cna't speak at all to the OSX issues involved. I like the looks and all, but I'm using vintage machines, and have never felt compelled to risk downtime to fidget with OSX. Some of the other guys, Kaye, or Lasvegas, can better speak to the compatability of Initio SCSI gear and OSX.

If it was a machine I wanted to get some good use out of, I would back it down to 500Mhz, and go with the Miles2 and Cheetah. If it's not a mission critical machine, you could order the kit which has SoftRAID and the LVD SCSI cable bundled in it. Strap on a 10k or even better a 15k Cheetah and your speed increase should be rather nice.

If you are crashing during overclocking, you need to back off. It's not about memory. It's about limitations to the architecture. Sure, there are little nuances that are peculiar to each machine.

Kaye has/had one that was, I believe, overclocked to 550Mhz. But, that was his particular machine. For some reason, that machine could do it, while a bunch of other folks with basically the same rigs could not duplicate that CPU speed with the same config.

Frying the CPU is a distinct possibility too.

Go with faster SCSI if you have a need for speed. Your CPU will last longer, and your machine will be way faster and stable too.

Best regards,

Dave

My PTP is running 540/270 and stable as a rock. Also stable at 546/273 but no boot at 550, so i decided to back down two notches to 540/270. My 1GB RAM sticks are all 128MB FPM 50ns or 60ns, and timing 162244 or 163244.

My last Gurus sticks for this machine were SEC (Samsung), 128MB, FPM, 5V, 60ns, 162244 timing chips. k

It amazes me every time I read it Kaye.......!