Thread: Testing RAM w/ PowerControl

Just added 2 512mb PC100 chips to my G4Dual with 9.0.4 about 10 days ago. Everything seemed OK at first but lately I've been having freezes and stalls now that I'm using the machine heavily. The 1st of these was so bad that the machine could not be restarted even with the original set-up CD. Had to pull all but the original apple RAM and reset the Cuda before it would restart.

Don't know if XLR8's PowerControl 3.0 is designed to work with a stock system but tried it for testing my RAM. It reported 16,000 errors. The same program tested my other new RAM on my 9500 and reported no errors. I pulled the 1 512mb chip that I was sort of isolating and tested again and the machine froze to a black screen and had to be restarted.

Saw a reference in the Forums to DIMM FirstAid and heard it was available on your ftp site but couldn't find it there. Would that be suitable?

Is there another reliable way for me to test this RAM instead of pulling it in and out of the machine?

Is PowerControl reliable on a stock G4? I'm suspicious because when it opens it doesn't fully reflect my system. It reports: Memory Installed; $1fi; Processors; One PPC 60x (I have a dual 500); Processor Speed: 0 MGz; Multiprocessing; Available.

PowerControl is a little dated for your machine and will likely not report the information correctly. It looks for the data where an Oldworld machine would store it. The memory test portion of the program wouldn't be a problem though. While it would test with only one processor, that's not what we're testing anyway!

Ram First Aid is intended to test and repair memory that would fail to work on the newer G4s with the newest flashrom upgrade. It doesn't test or repair faulty memory though.

Looks to me that you may have purchased RAM that is too slow for your system. Doesn't the G4DP require PC133 memory?

Make sure VM is off - PC 3.0 will generate errors with VM on - even if your RAM is good.

I use it - its great for memory testing. Hopefully they will bring out a more up to date version. GaugePro1.1 works OK to for RAM testing, but is not as thorough.

------------------
    One Nation, under God; with liberty and justice for all.

Exactly as lv says, PowerControl will give you garbage info, but the memory test, with PowerFrax running in the background for extra stress, will run just fine and report correctly. I tried it on my G4-800DP.

I'm thinking you have a Power Mac G4-500DP (Gigabit Ethernet) which Apple specs at PC100 and says 512MB sticks will work (like the G4 Digital Audio) here http://www.info.apple.com/info.apple...ec.taf?RID=394 but nothing is said about refresh rate nor, I suspect, is the RAM reporting to your 500DP what it wants to hear. More info than you ever cared to know here http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...mitesdram.html (note the firmware update info) and here http://www.macgurus.com/beta/mbppcg4agp.html

Both DIMM First Aid and the earlier DIMMCheck are on the ftp site in the misc_memory_testers folder. See if your box will boot with your Apple RAM stick and one or more of the new sticks. Otherwise, of course, you won't be able to use either of those utilities. I can't use DIMM First Aid on my QuickSilver G4 DP. It says it is not compatible with my box. By the way, TattleTech will report to you what those new sticks are reporting to your box. On the Gurus ftp site misc_utilities_stuff folder then tattletech_folder but there is a non-beta version 2.83 available from the developer. k

Thanx for all the info.
    last night, I used PowerControl to test my G4-500DP with PowerFrax running and all chips installed. Although it's been running OK lately, the report was 115,000 errors.

Then, this morning I ran 5 tests (without PowerFrax) starting with only 1 chip and adding another after each restart. No errors found until the last chip was installed which caused system bombs at startup and a "bus error" alert. Pulling the last chip allowed the machine to start normally.

Seems to me, to be a bad chip.