Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Checking Memory Specs

By now we all know http://www.chipmunk.nl/DRAM/ChipManufacturers.htm but I stumbled across an old bookmark http://www.mitronet.com/chipdir/chipdir.htm and particularly here http://www.mitronet.com/chipdir/f/dram.htm . The home page does have links to some interesting info. k

Thanks

KILLER!

Thanks!

------------------
    The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy: Earth
    The third planet from a insignificant star in the outter rim of the galaxy. It is mostly harmless.

FYI, last week, during the Gurus overhaul of their RAM prices, I ordered:
    (2) DIMM 128MB, 60ns FPM $209.99 ea (4k refresh, 2k per side)
    and today received:
    (2) DIMM 128MB 60ns 162244 Buffer FPM $209.99 ea (4k refresh, 2k per side)

This is good stuff, RAM chips say:

KM48C8100AS-6
    ^^^*****************KM4 = Samsung / SEC
    KM48C8100AS-6
    ****^***************C = 5volt
    KM48C8100AS-6
    ***^*^**************Internal Organization:
    ***^*^**************8-8 = 64Mb 8Meg x 8 (per side, 128M total)
    KM48C8100AS-6
    ******^^************10 = 2K refresh
    KM48C8100AS-6
    ********^************0 = Fast Page

True 5V RAM chips, true 2k refresh RAM chips, true FPM RAM chips, no hocus-pocus board magic. Timing chips say 162244, meaning both buffered and dampered.

I'm guilty of OWC 128MB memory which in the past has worked for me and was both buffered and dampered and the RAM chips were 5V, FPM, 2k refresh, some sticks 50ns, some 60ns. However, their latest $50 offerings I received, the RAM chips were 3.3V, FPM, 8k refresh (yes 8k), 50ns. I still don't believe that 8k refresh chips can magically thru stick/board electronics become 4k, 2k per side. Plus the timing chips on the RAM have numbers/letters on them that do not match anything I have ever seen, so no way to tell whether they are buffered or buffered and dampered. k

Jeez Kaye; in your old age you are getting as radical in your beliefs as me!

True 5V RAM chips, true 2k refresh RAM chips, true FPM RAM chips, no hocus-pocus board magic. Timing chips say 162244, meaning both buffered and dampered.
    I thought that you only needed buffered & dampered 5V 60ns FPM if one was using the NEWER G3/4 upgrades?

Is buffered& dampered memory the best way to go? Is it 'required'?

I am having issues with OWC 128MB too. I've run my system every which way. It did seem to be stable @ 202/101/45Mhz - but I only ran that for about 1 hour. Of course its a G3/466 XLR8 + Carrier that had been running at 500/250/50. I even tried 450/225/45 and recieved 3 hours in under 4 hours. Not good. I'm going to pull the DIMMs tomorrow and retest to confirm. I think this RAM is going back. I'll probably have to get some GURUs TRUE 5V 60ns FPM.

Nuts!

The same type RAM is working well in a slightly upgraded 9500/G3-300Mhz system. O'well, win some, lose some.

True, you only need buffered & dampered with the NEWER G3/4 upgrades. However it is the best, so I have it in both my PTP and S900. BTW, my PTP came with three Power Computing labeled ram sticks, 64MB, 5V, 2k, FPM, and 60ns with 162244 timing chips on the sticks. k

All the higher end Power CC machines came with 162244 RAM (silk screened with the red Power CC logo). I make a point to add only buffered and dampered RAM.

Why is there no mention of 162244, or buffered, or dampered with the 64MB FPM DIMMs?

Do Gurus ONLY sell the 162244 B&D DIMMs in the 128MB variety?

I am stumped by one of my DIMMs. I've check the CHIP sites and the vendors site. Maybe its an old chip that they dont list any more?

The ONLY thing that I am sure about is that it is a 64MB 168PIN DIMM.
    The chip number is: V53C635805AT50
    There are 8 of these chips on the card.

The number V53 should be Vitelic (france, but it was made/assembled in Taiwan).
    C = ? Crap?
    635 = ?
    805 = ?
    AT50 = 50ns?

The chips are very thin - not like regular 5V FPM DIMMs that I use.

------------------
    Life in the fast lane leads to:
    The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.

There is no hocus pocus with our modules. They are tested and operate as we advertise them on our site. 100% compatible with ALL G3 and G4 upgrades. And we should know with over 15,000 pieces now in use.

d_x,

I don't have any of the Gurus 64MB sticks but "We do not, at this time, carry a 64MB DIMM which is 162244-compliant" on this page http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...powermacs.html

Your chip number, I agree that it is Mosel Vitelic and 50ns. Other than that, nothing else matches. As you say, must be old. k

News:

Good- I just received my 4, 64MB Guru DIMMs. I am testing them now.
    Bad- I forgot to get the chip nums
    Good- Its Guru memory, so I have confidence!

Those Vitelic chips are REALLY bugg'n me I might just email the vendor in a futile attempt to figure out what on earth these things are.

Well my PTPro is up, running cool and has 576MB!

I'll have to re-install the drives tommorrow. Then maybe I can get crack'n on my S900 setup that I have sorely neglected.

------------------
    Life in the fast lane leads to:
    The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.

Kaye,

Since i don't know you I'll be easy on you.

I'm going to help you learn about memory if it's the last thing i do.

I dont mean to offend you when i say you are clueless.

you will be my pet project. you be MacCrusaders first official squire.

When i'm through with you people will look up to and respect you, you wont have to feed them false information any more!

Think of it - a team.

any way big deal right - I gotta go

What?

Dragon x,

What is what? What part didn't you get?

Do still have questions about your vitelic devices...They have a plat in Hsien Hsiu Taiwan, even though Mosel Vitelic is a french concern. Many Major Fabricators have developed partnerships in taiwan - I'ts no big deal. If your modules bad it's bad. has nothing to do with MV.

As far as the buffer/damper/162244 stuff whered this @#$% come from not OWCH larry i hope. He seems to famous for spreading false info.

I'll straighten this issue regarding these 16BIt octal line buffers tommorow..I dont bring my notes home from my office.

As far as this other stuff Kaye was spewing forth i planm on helping her with this too.

We are doing fine, MacCrusader.

Maybe you need to talk to Trag?

MC,

Get a life junior and learn to be less confrontational when you grow up. Don't forget to bring your brains/notes home from school. Then maybe you can spew a little more knowledge than you have so far. k

Is ANYONE going to clean that litter box out or what?!

Man, "MacPoser".. err.. I mean "MacCrusader" is talking a lot of shit in someone elses yard.

I trust Kaye more than some wet-behind-the-ears newbie. Prove yourself, MC.

Mad Dog