Thread: SCSI ARRAY built by the OLD MacGURUS FAILED

I purchased a SCSI DSIC array from MacGurus in 2000. It just failed. Does anyone know where I can get a new enclosure with new wiring. I have tested each indivuidual drive via a Biege G3 and HD toolkit and there are know errors. When I put the drives back in the ARRAY and try reinitializing them via Softraid 2.2.2 the fail to MAP Partitions. the only thing I can think of is the wiring. I tried the ARRAy on two differrent MACs with Two different SCSI cards and I get the same reults. The drives appear to work fine by themselves. Also does anyone have experience building ARRAYS and would guide me to a "How to"

Bruce Robinson
    Siquis

Bruce,

Before giving up on the array, case, and cables, please answer a few questions:

1. The case, how many drive bays?
    2. How many drives in the case?
    3. What are the drives, the exact and full model numbers, such as if Seagate, for example ST318451LW, and are all of the drives the same?
    4. Is all of the external cabling from computer to RAID box Granite Digital? How many external cables?
    5. Is all of the RAID internal cabling Granite? And what color? Yellow or gray or what?
    6. The terminator/s, Granite?
    7. Your PCI card, what is it? Initio or ATTO? What is the model number? What is the other PCI card you tried?
    8. What MacOS version?
    9. What is the main computer this array has been hooked up to, or is it the Beige G3?
    10.Have you been inside the RAID box just prior to the failure?
    11.Have you upgraded MacOS just prior to the failure?
    12.When you launch SoftRAID, does it complete its initial SCSI Scan (a small window with a progress bar)? That is a very intensive test and will almost always tell you of a hardware problem if the SCSI Scan hangs (fails to complete).
    13.Then initialize all of the drives in SoftRAID, then create the RAID volume/s. Is this where the failure occurs?

That is about all I can think of for now with my feeble brain. k

Bruce, I asked the gentleman who may have built that RAID to email you. Did you get satisfaction?

I had some cases flake out this summer by what I assume was a spike, surge, or just plain olde too much too close lightning. Similar experience.

One drive went belly-up, the other three were fine. Since then, more careful with UPS, line conditioner, and storms. As well as hard restarts or forgetting I have drives powered up while testing. With SoftRAID 3, you should be able to rebuild a mirror after pulling the plug, but that's asking a lot. And in three years, if you haven't replaced or updated the drives in the last 18 months, you're in for a shock at how far they've come in 2003.

I emailed Bruce back on about 10/3 offering help and also that he could ship the RAID to me and I would take a look at it. Never heard back. k