Thread: Help on a Mirror Setup at work if possible...

Ok i don't know really where to start with this, but i know you guys will be able to help.

Ok here is the set-up at work. Using a G4 450 with two ATA internal HDs as a filesharing server. Now the main HD is 60gig and has all our art work on it, and i dont trust the people i work with when i'm not around. They like too crash it. Now there is a 30gig ATA in it atm too, and i self back up everything end off every week.

Now i heard of mirroring HDs so i wouldn't have to keep doing it, and need to know how to go about it. Never did it before.

Doesn't a raid program come with the 9.2 CD?
    If so would i be able to mirror the HDs?
    Is it even worth the effort at work,
    or will i have more porblems with it?

Just need some feedback on this, and if i have to buy a program for this just say so. Cause my boss wont pay for it, and i was just thinking about doing a set up like that to make my life easier.

Thanks.

Vince34
    G4 1.25 DP (MDD/FW800) -- 1.25gig Ram -- 2x18gig SCSI -- 40gig & 80gig ATAs (all Seagates)
    ATi Radion 9000 -- 21 Inch Apple Studio Display

quote:
    It is not the power of the Raging Demon...but you past sins that will be your undoing

Vince34,

With ATA on OS 9 their are a few chioces like Anubis RAID form Charismac, give them a call and check out your options.

Bob McWilliams

Hi again Vince:

Let's get this started.

Mirroring only protects against a failed HD, but not the most common causes of lost data: user error, throwing the wrong stuff away (oops!) corruption/crashes, virus/attacks, etc. I am a fan of mirroring, but it is not a replacement for shceduled and frequent backups.

If you want to mirror in OS 9, you should use the best: SoftRaid. Check it out at www.softraid.com . There are a couple other venders out there, but SoftRaid is what I have used and like, and what the Gurus used to sell (and will again soon I trust) and still endorse. I do believe that SoftRaid requires SCSI though... so not the cheapest solution. There are also some ATA RAID cards that do mirroring, but I have not used one, so can't offer any advice on it. Anybody else?

OS 10 is a different story. RAID 0 and 1 are built in to the OS. You can set it up with Disk Utility, and ATA hardware should be just fine (all my mirrors are still SCSI). No matter what OS and SCSI/ATA, you will want two identical drives, otherwise you are asking for problems. I have a FileMaker Server box that has been serving data from a OS 10 mirror for over a year with no hiccups. I reboot it every couple months whether it needs it or not.

You may not have the choice, but if it were me, I would really try to get a file server migrated to OS 10; bettter yet OS 10 Server. Before I migrated our AppleShare IP box to OS 10 Server, "DON'T ANYBODY TOUCH IT!!" was my most common comment about it. Sound familar? 10 is so solid, and mirroring is solid and free, and there are so many free/inxpesnsive backup and syncronizing applications to automate your backups, plus you can share to OS 9, 10 and Wintel easy as pie.

If you can't swing OS 10 Server, maybe something like this with OS 10 would help: www.hornware.com/sharepoints . Just starting to look at this, but it has gotten some good reviews.

A SIIG HARD RAID card and two fast drives, identical models. With one drive per channel, you should get decent 50MB/s writes. Most people's backup strategy is daily backup/update, weekly backup to another set of drives, tape, FireWire, or SCSI.

ACard has a four channel RAID controller waiting for driver and firmware support. they also have a utility. See the thread yesterday on ACard firmware update.

SoftRAID 3 would but is OS X only. I think the HARD RAID is probably the best bet. And it can be used and seen in both OS 9 and OS X.

Under Jaguar, I can copy 20GB in 20 minutes, making booting into Jaguar useful if for no other reason that file I/O.

Thanks for the info guys, and i ran the ideas across with my boss. And my dam luck he laughed at me, and said "we are fine with the setup we have now". So if he doesn't care if he looses all his files neither do i. He said the same thing to me when i joined his company and the only G4 that had all the work was the one i started on, and that HD went bu bye one day. Lucky for him i saved all the work or no more company for him. Guess i'll experiment at home with mirroring on my G4 450, better for me to keep learning then to worry about his crap.

Since my G4 450 has OSX, i'll save some cash for two crapy HDs and have fun with it. Once again guys thanks.

Vince34
    G4 1.25 DP (MDD/FW800) -- 1.25gig Ram -- 2x18gig SCSI -- 40gig & 80gig ATAs (all Seagates)

quote:
    It is not the power of the Raging Demon...but you past sins that will be your undoing

hay Gregory did you take off your last post? I got a email confermation that you posted but don't see it here. Will if you did, should have left it. Was funny as sh*t, and made my day yesterday. After reading that then looking at my boss, i all most bursted out laughing. And had to hold it in.

Vince34

quote:
    It is not the power of the Raging Demon...but your past sins that will be your undoing

yes, well, I got all fired up, dashed off a tidbit, edited it a couple times, then thought the "let them fry their ethernet ports and see if I care" might be too much.

hey, if it helped your day, that's thanks 'nuf.

As for mirroring and stuff - backups are nice. multiple sets, too. FireWire, SCSI, RAID. If it is fast, you'll use it. Tri-Backup might take time to scan 80GB but the backup is fast enough.

A mirror really can hit I/O on writes but not reads.

Some folks around here have created two stripe raids, then use one to mirror the other. SCSI, with each on separate bus. Very good for those that need the best.

OS X is still "in development" but beginning to pay off. 10.3 should be better even. And who knows, if Apple does pull a rabbit out of the hat, we could have some decent hardware that should fly off the shelves - and create an inventory shipping delay problem with Apple and its partners trying to fulfill orders for Christmas. If not sooner. A "980" (second revision, bumped performance, more closely optimized to Panther) next january?

I still think internal ATA HARD RAID, mirror or stripe, is the easiest option right now.

What can get fried? memory, firewire ports, modems (56k and dsl), ethernet port. Luckily most cable connections are grounded before they enter the premises. And people.