Thread: 3 Cheetah 15k.3 73gb drives for internal raid 0 ?

Wondering when these new drives will be available and what the consensus of putting 3 inside the about to be released dual 1.25 g4 striped together? Heat issues? Would be used for fcp editing sd video (not dv).

Also, (newbie alert) is it possible/recommended to put the 3 internals on one channel of a dual card, leaving the other channel free for a future external array?

b,

?I'd say that you'd have a rippin setup. If you order a new G4 I would not recommend you get the build to order ATTO Dual UL3D card, the aftermarket one is better.

?The OEM card only has one channel available internally and one externally, the retail card has two int and two ext. Very important if you want more than one channel array, which is the only way to get above the 160MB/sec mark.

?If you are going to spend the money on UL3D and Cheetahs get the most versatility for your money that you can.

?I would guess (has to be a guess since I haven't bought any Gen 3 Cheetahs and don't have a new model tower to install them in) that you will have no problem installing 3 Cheetahs in the new tower.

?I have no idea when the actual ship dates will be.

Rick

www.storagereview.com is looking at one now and will have a review up when they are done testing. I'd say that's a lot of fire power: 216GB flying at 15,000 rpm. so heat would be worth considering - the current models are loud and hot already.

I personally would prefer putting it in an external box.

Also, if Seagate does what they did last year, they revised firmware revision a couple months after the X15.2 came out so consider if you want the first batch run on these drives or not. Seagate hopes to deliver 75MB/s SW which means you could max a channel easily with three. A dual channel, four drive might be where you want to go eventually, unless that would be over-kill.

Gregory

Apple advertises 4 drive installation capability... I forgot to mention that the boot drive shipped with the tower would make it 4 all together.

4 striped together would of course be the ultimate, but then that would make it 5 all together. I probably would have to be imaginative in fitting them in there, along with an extra fan?

Anyway, thanks for the reply and looking forward to the storagereview reaction.
    P.S. The Storagereview article is up... Most interesting is heat and noise levels are comparable to 7200 drives!

[This message has been edited by bhomatude (edited 03 September 2002).]

I was amazed at how low the numbers reported in SR's review for heat etc, and it really does deliver, and they didn't seem to put it in an ideal 66 mhz slot or Ultra320 mode. Of course some would fine the $900 per drive to be the big shocker - those prices will go down given 3-6 months once supply catches up with demand.

ATTO's UL4 units sell for the same price as UL3'S so I would definitely go with the new controllers.

Gregory

If you are going to build a big scsi array like that I would recommend putting it external. I started internal with my four drive scsi array, I ended up buying the cables and moving the whole thing outside. Much better, I can now have four ATA drives, a couple of them on ATA133 Hardware RAID card, for system storage, backups and the like. I keep the external array purely for scratch space. Awesome.

Rick

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Being the proud owner of a new Dual Ghz Dual Optical Mac I can definitely state as a fact that those monster drives better be low profile or you will be external whether you want to or not!

In order to get a 1/2 height (1.6") device in there you will have to bend brackets to make them fit and you will get a Maximum of 2 drives total and only that if you remove the ATA.

Something else to consider is scsi card height. An Adaptec 2940U2B with an internal cable connected is too tall to allow the case to close. But that same card will work with no internal cables connected. Make sure that WITH a cable connected your total height is less than the height of the video card.