Thread: Dual 1 GHz with OEM SCSI

This post is just in case anyone is curious. I got a 1GHz DP in and I chose the BTO SCSI option-Dual channel card and one 36 GB SCSI drive. Wasn't sure what I was going to get. I popped it open first thing and the card is an ATTO, but not like the UL3D I had. Channel one is internal and channel two is external and these are the only two connections. The drive is a Cheetah ST336605LW. In OS 10.1.4 it is benchmarking around 50 read and 52 write using Intech's Speedtools for OS X. I downloaded ExpressStripe (freakin' $99, I could have sworn it was $29) and formatted my two new 10K Cheetahs that came from Macgurus and they exploded. Just kidding. Got one internal and one external. All Granite Digital cables and terminators. I had problems getting the RAID going and tech support quickly e-mailed me back stating I had to log in as root. I finally got it going and it benched very low. like around 50 MB/sec. I e-mailed them about that and the person stated "As for the Benchmarks, there are reports that on certain stripe groups the
    results are equal to that of a single drive. Please do not be concerned
    unless you actually notice a performance issue. The numbers should be
    false. this issue is being looked into and should be addressed in a future
    version. Please keep in mind that ExpressStripe is a version 1.0 and
    development is ongoing." Ok. I downloaded the OS 9 extension and benched the RAID while in OS 9 and got ~100 read and ~102 write. I can't get over how the writes are faster than the reads with these Cheetahs. Anyway, very happy so far.
    Richard

Richard,

Unless the $29 for ES was an "intro price only" - they never said so but I just checked and you're right. it was $29 even a couple weeks ago. No email notice of a change (or that it is now 1.1 or something).

ExpressStripe acted up on me and I've been waiting for an update before trying it again. ATTO didn't even seem to test or know about Disk Warrior.

Had you asked if anyone knew what the BTO was? They've been using that configuration card for a year or so. Seems sort of expensive BUT now Apple will be the one responsible for firmware updates to work with future OS updates, so there's peace of mind. The UL3S/D and OEM are only minor changes to the board - you can see the outline of where the other connectors etc would be.

I got tired of trying to get answers from ATTO support when I tried to set up multiple partitions because it would try to unmount all volumes and would keep failing, maybe why I had trouble later. No mention ever of having to be root. Maybe they released it without understanding or knowing? Maybe it was the person assigned to my case.

Some of the "ongoing development" is in Apple's lap to bring support for SCSI and RAID up to speed and completed, there is 'work around code' that will be pulled when a permenant fix is in place which is pretty much guaranteed to break anything depending on old documentated API - why OmniWeb 4.06 broke with 10.1 when code support was yanked - all w/o a heads-up warning to prepare for either.

Gregory

What pee'd me off was that when I tried to create 2 volumes-one at ~10 GB and another at ~62 GB, it wouldn't let me. I could do the ~10 GB vol, but not the 62 GB vol. It looks like there is a restriction--vol size is less than or equal to (total drive space)/ number of desired volumes. ~36 GB was the most I could go on the 2nd volume. So, I just created one volume. I need the ability to go from OS 9 to OS X until the Igniter card is X ready. Based on e-mail from Aurora, it looks like it will happen around the same time as SoftRaid will be out. I hope. I had not asked around about the OEM SCSI card. I assumed wrong. I even ordered a 2nd GD1200 with the anticipation of their being 2 internal connections. Deb has graciously agreed to take it back and send me a GD External Cable. I didn't get a zip drive, so I might be able to mount a future Cheetah there with an Ultimate Cooler. I think the most I'd put in there is 3. One for booting and 2 on the internal channel with 2 on the external channel.

[This message has been edited by rhunt000 (edited 06 May 2002).]

[This message has been edited by rhunt000 (edited 06 May 2002).]

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

An Ult HD Cooler will not fit in the zip bay of your case

the Ult Cooler requires a 5.25 inch bay and the bay for the zip is 3.5

The drive/Ult Cooler *Might* fit above the dvd drive Worth a try anyway

Thanks for the info. When I peeped up there where the zip normally goes, it looked like there was a sled that adapted a 3.5 inch device to the 5.25 inch bay.

I added another Cheetah to each channel and used ExpressStripe. In OS 9 Intech's QuickBench reported ~160 MB/sec read and ~162 MB/sec write. In OS X QuickBench is reporting ~100 MB/sec read and writes. Kinda weird. I have question for someone. Not that I'll ever have the dough to do this, but if a G4 had 2 dual channel Atto cards and drives on all 4 available channels, is it still gonna max out at around 200-215 MB/sec because of the 133 MHz Bus? If so, I'm guessing the only real advantage of that setup is you might be able to get there with a lesser number of drives.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

According to the raid data base Ricks is putting together then yes you will hit the PCI bus limit with that many Cheetahs/UL4D's or UL3D's

I think Kaye has done this..... (he must be loaded!)

Kaye has a Quad channel by eight G2 15k Cheetah RAID. The reason that this is good is even on the last, slowest, inner tracks the RAID will still maintain bus saturation. In very large file transfers you will 'run out' of the buffers, 8 Cheetahs will negate ANY affect that would have. I would think this would be important for some DV applications.

And Damien, we shouldn't make light of Kaye's drinking problem by publicly mentioning he's loaded.

Rick

House Goddess thinks I'm loaded too, or was it full of.....? Something like that anyway. I sure would like to try that Burly on an Xserve with its 64-bit 66MHz PCI slots, theoretical 533MB/s thruput PCI bus, the equivalent of a 2x AGP slot. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 17 May 2002).]