Thread: 2x 10K or 15K for 8600/miles2

Hi all
    I know there's been lots of discussion of this on both product pages and forums, but I'd like to get some fresh field notes on vintage (50MHz bus) 3-PCI SCSI RAID. The idea: to run a RAID 0 array in an 8600 mach5; the SCSI controller to be a Miles2 residing (when I actually belly up to the bar and buy one) in PCI 1.

My rig:
    8600 mach 5
    XLR8 Carrier G3 466 (@466/233/46.6)
    512 MB EDO RAM (4x 128 MB and stable)
    mobo VRAM 4MB

10 MB/sec internal SCSI bus: Apple 24x CDROM, Plex 12/4/32 CDR, 18G N Barracuda (will be sole N drive when I replace the old Quantum and IBM N SCSI drives and add my GD Narrow cable--as soon as I finish moving)

PCI:
    1: waiting for fast SCSI controller (a Miles2 by popular acclaim)
    2: ATI Rage Orion
    3: RATOC USB/FW

In such a system, will 2x 15K cheetahs be overkill? I seem to recall a 40MB/s barrier than can only be exceeded by duplex buses
    (a la running 2 Miles2's in a 9600). The price difference is significant between 9G 10K cheetahs and 18G 15K's.

I'm still a grad student (at least through the summer) and will probably take advantage (a la ChrisYip at Toronto) of an .edu deal
    on a bare bones G4 733 (or whatever is the cheapest available at time 'o purchase) new mac before graduation. Thus the justification for 15K's with the idea of springing for an ATTO UL3D to run the 15K cheetahs and some massive Barracudas for the 8600/Miles2 and using it as a video capture/storage beast of burden for the longer haul.

Opinions? Benchmarks? Fuzzy logic?

Thanks
    geo

[This message has been edited by geotime (edited 10 February 2002).]

You're right that X15 will be overkill by a long shot. You could save - either the new '406' 10k at 2/3 price or just get one X15. The ceiling/wall of even a Yosemite at 53MB/s means there is virtually no advantage to RAID0. Zilch. Maybe by hitting two channels, one on each.

As to UL3D: I'd wait. There is a UL4S/D in the wings due out that is true Ultra320, not Ultra160. And a 66 mhz PCI card. Though you must have PCI bus 66 mhz to use it - maybe Apple will begin to offer one?

I bought an X15 in September when they came out and it was a revision 002. Current models are rev. 004. Not sure but seems like they 'sound' different and have a higher ceiling in performance also... I know that the new 10k is a huge improvement and nearly the same (49-63 SW vs. 51-68MB/s SW) and both have higher Mbps ratings.

Waiting does have advantages. And prices on the 10K have dropped at most sites to below $200 18GB.

Thanks Gregory
    I'm not sure I follow on the '406' 10K. Is this one of the ones the gurus are selling? I also seem to remember reading that in vintage 3-PCI macs one 15K is faster than two 10K striped. Or have I lost too many brain cells? geo

Ah. You're referring to the ST318406LW, yes?

Question answered most expertly by kaye here: http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000680.html

Yes. You're looking at 49MB/s and up, which is more than the 8600 can fully appreciate (but don't let that stop you!) as I think it is now much faster than the earlier model, quiet.