Thread: RAID w/ external drives?

hi all

going to be editing a feature length, uncompressed SD project in FCP 3. will put almost the entire thing through commotion and/or AE after FCP. capture with digitalvoodoo 64AV. so i am trying to figure out hard drive requirements to ensure stability.

i currently have an ATTO UL3D that i use with 2 x 36 GB 10k seagate EXTERNAL drives. in order to do RT uncompressed, do i need to buy an entire RAID array in its own enclosure? or can i just buy four more external drives like the two i own, and then stripe them together (3 on each bus)?

keeping the costs down is important, but coming from the avid world (which for me was always stable) i am really looking for stability. are separate external drives striped together stable enough to avoid dropped frames and other trouble?

sorry for the lengthy post and thanks in advance for any advice.

cheers

harry

Hi ya Harry, welcome to the forum.

I am the most ignorant person on this planet when it comes to dig video. So take this with the old grain of salt.

You certainly can install your raid in one or more external enclosures. I just today ordered a Burly 4 bay enclosure, cables(both internal and external), terminators and cooling fans that double as mounting brackets.

This is to hook up 4 SCSI LVD Ultra160 drives, on 2 channels of an ATTO UL3D host card to make into a RAID via Softraid. I finally decided to get the stuff out of my crowded G4 case. (and add 2 more drives in the bargain)

This setup can just as easily contain 6 or 8 drives in either two X 4 bay Burlys or one X 8 bay Burly. Either enclosure combo will allow external connections on any combinations of drives.

Should work exactly the same as far as the bus is concerned in the external as the internal. Performance and reliability will be no different than the 2 drives in a RAID0 internally except for the added failure percentages that come as you add more drives. After all, in RAID0 it only takes one drive failure to toast all your data.

To find the correct case goto: http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...nclosures.html
    You'll most likely need either the 4 Bay 5.25 MAP5043
    Or the 8 BAY 5.25 MAP5083
    You also can get the 8 bay with redundant power supplies built in.

The internal cables are on the same page.
    4 device internal for either option:
    GD2682 Quad 68-pin Int TPO LVD Ribbon Encl. Cable
    Two of these will give you the ability to add a drive to each channel later. Granite Digital cables are the best. When you want speed, use the best.

You'll need 2 terminators. For LVD-Ultra2 or 3, Order GD2015, or GD6299 (Now Diagnostic!). Those on page: http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...rminators.html

Last is the external cable. 2 of the 68 pin champ to 68 pin MicroD GD4911 Found on page: http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...ables.8mm.html

The mounting brackets are on the enclosure page. Cooling fans, temp readouts etc.

If you post some information about what your system particulars are I'm sure there would be compatibility feedback from some of the real experts around here. What computer, what OS version your running and planning to run, what raid software and the model of the Cheetahs. To get proper performance your added drives should be the same. That info would greatly help understanding what issues might arrise.

Hope that helps. Not knowing anything about video I don't know any tricks you'll need to tune this for your purpose.
    Rick

[This message has been edited by ricks (edited 06 February 2002).]