Thread: My Burly Raid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I got my Burly put together. She's humming kinda softly by my left ear. It was an adventure, but one that I enjoyed.

Thanks for the help on ordering and the Roll Your Own Raid tutorial was most excellent. Couldn't have done it without that.

Richard

Beige w/XLR8 G4 500 (Overclocked bus 83.3 x 6.5 = 541 MHz)
    512 MB RAM
    4 18 GB Quantum Atlas 10K II in a Burly (wish they were Cheetahs)
    All Granite Digital cabling
    Miles2, Ratoc FW/USB, ATI Xclaim VR 128

QuickBench---> 10 MBytes 70.487 Read 59.002 Write
    Atto ExpressPro-Tools---> PR 75.03 SR 74.73 PW 62.84 SW 61.95
    I'm very happy!!!

Richard,

Congratulations for completing a somewhat daunting but as you say enjoyable adventure in ordering and assembly and excellent results.

I'm interested, have some questions:
    1.Which Burly, 4-bay?
    2.Did you purchase and connect the Burly with selectable IDs on the rear?
    3.Which power supply?
    4.Did you connect the drive activity LEDs?
    5.SoftRAID? HFS+? OS?
    6.Ratoc card, what is your experience with that? Any issues? What do you have connected to it, both FW and USB?

Obviously the Beige works well with the Miles2. I was wondering about that. k

Thanks Kaye. Here are the answers to your questions.

1.Which Burly, 4-bay?
    MAP5043 4-Bay 5.25-in SCSI Encl w/ 15-ID Switches w/ Ultimate Hard Drive Coolers.
    2.Did you purchase and connect the Burly with selectable IDs on the rear?
    I did not connect the IDs.
    3.Which power supply?
    300 W
    4.Did you connect the drive activity LEDs?
    Yes, I had to put a drop of super glue on the led area to keep it in the slot. They are working fine.
    5.SoftRAID? HFS+? OS?
    SoftRAID 2.2.2 Striped under OS 8.6. I have a volume with 9.1, but I haven't made the transition yet.
    6.Ratoc card, what is your experience with that? Any issues? What do you have connected to it, both FW and USB?
    No problems so far. I have an EZQuest EZQ CDRW 24x10x40 Ext FireWire. I will be testing a FORMAC Studio firewire later today. I have an Epson Perfection 1640SU that stays connected via USB with no problems. I am going to get a Keyspan USB Serial adapter for my Epson Photo EX hoping to speed up printing a bit. I'm hoping that works out OK.

Richard

Richard,

Thanks for the info. Yes, those ID selectors are a job to wire but work as advertised. More hot glue tho. I was curious about the Ratoc because I have recommended it without actually have one. My PTP has the xlr8 FW and USB separate cards. k

k,
    I have the ratoc card in a 9600 with 500M XLR8 G3 for several months. Both USB and Firewire work fine. I am using the firewire with a JVC Mini DV Tapedeck and Final Cut Pro 1.2.

The only thing I remember was that the software install was a little tricky, but the instructions were good.

... taffy.c

Thanks for the testamonial. Another satisfied customer. Will continue to recommend the Ratoc. k