Thread: cheetah raid in daystar/performance

Gurus, just installed a pair of ST39205LW (9GB 10K) in Daystar Genesis, connected to Miles2 via Granite LVD & Granite Term. with SoftRaid 2.2.2. Miles is in top slot. (XLR 466 G3 @ 476/600MB RAM to P-shop(768MB interleaved total)/ OS 8.6) Takes 17 sec to open or write a 130MB file. Is this about right? Anything I can do to improve on this, or am I limited by slow I/O of the old 9500 logic board?
    Thanks. jh

make sure that you have the Miles2 in a bus mastering slot, either slot one or slot four.....update the firmware on your Miles2 to 1.06b or later....check the Miles2, and ensure that the LEDs confirm that you are running in LVD mode.

with a similar machine and only 150 megs of ram dedicated to PS6 it takes me 19 seconds to open a 130mb file and 31 seconds to create that file (red to black gradient).

Ok, updated firmware. Now I can open that same file in 13 sec. Again is this about right? Just to check I copied the same file to my old external array (Quantum AtlasII 2.2 F/W thru Jackhammer w/ SoftRaid) and opened it in 16.6 sec. I hate to whine, but I was hoping the new setup would be much better, not just by a small fraction.

Oh, by the way how do I tell if the Miles is in LVD mode? The middle LED is always lit (even when I had it connected to the Atlas drives), the one one the front of the card flashes w/ activity, the rear one (closest to the PCI slot) never lights. I did check the manual, and could't glean any info.

Have you guys ever experimented with using some sort of contact cleaner like ProGold (stuff used by audiophile gearheads on connectors) on PCI contacts or even on RAM chips and sockets? Later, jh (aka drphoto)

[This message has been edited by drphoto (edited 01 April 2001).]

I'm wondering if the speed of the Atlas (7200?) vs Cheetah (10000) should account for an approximate 20 to 25% reduction in access time, then 13 sec. vs 16.6 sec, would be appropriate. 15K Cheetahs should show a larger (50%?) reduction time. Just a thought, Magician or others may have other ideas.

The common ground for transfer rate comparison with us is ATTO Express Pro-Tools v2.5. Get this from ATTO or our FTP site at ftp://ftp.macgurus.com//ftp/atto_stuff/ . Set max transfer size to 8 MB.

Using that benchmark, I get about 34 MB/sec sustained read and write with a single 10k Cheetah on a Miles 2. You didn't say if these drives are striped in RAID 0. I don't have two 10k Cheetahs to stripe.

Using two X15 Cheetahs and two Miles 2 (dual channel) striped in RAID 0, my sustained reads are 77 and sustained writes are 72 MB/sec.

My machine is a Power Tower Pro, which is a 9500 clone like yours.

Never used an Atlas, but they are definitely slower.

The center light indicates LVD mode. One outboard light is an activity light and the other is SE. So, it sounds like you are good there.

We use pencil erasers to clean contacts and blow away the debris (an old Army trick from VietNam).

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 01 April 2001).]

Louie: Sort of off topic/sort of not....thinking this pertains to speeding up drphoto's machine as well.

what would you expect the performance of adding a second miles2 card would be using a pair of cheetah 10k drives(raid 0)? Curently i am getting reads and writes of around 34.5m/bs...would this upgrade speed things up enough to make it worth while? Or would selling my 2 cheetah's and buying a single 15k drive be better money spent?

Tm,
    As far as I know a single Miles will max out at about 40 MB/sec SW.
    I have duals with 4x10 k cheetha's that reaches about 70 MB/secSW. SR will benefit far less from a second Miles and beware of the "write thru" issue if you're running a a G3 or G4 upgrade on a legacy machine!

I've never striped two 10k Cheetahs. Since I'm getting 34 with one, I should think two would be much better. I think Kaye has posted those figures.

Any more than two X15's oversaturates the busses.

The "write-thru" thing is certainly a problem for some. No one knows if a DayStar will be effected.

make sure that all drives attached to the Miles2 are LVD drives--do not attach any single-ended drives to that bus.

probably the right thing to do right now is benchmark your drives using the ATTO Tools utility. Version 2.5 is on our FTP site.

you may want to experiment with the optimization routines in that application, too.....see if setting your mode pages differently helps.

Yes, the drives are in striped mode (raid 0). Only the 2 LVD Cheetah's on the Miles2 card. (I read all the info on Gurus Seagate page) What is this "write thru" thing you've mentioned?

Some of us using two Miles U2W cards (dual channel) and two X15 Cheetahs striped in RAID 0 and 500 MHz G3's in PTP's and 9500s have to enable Write-Through in the XLR8 CP to keep from hanging.

interesting numbers....i ran atto on some machines at work...

PTP w/ xlr8 G3 400 and OEM HD...R&W's around 5mb
    7300 w/ xlr8 G3 400 and Miles2 with a single 10k cheetah....23mb's
    G4 400 OEM tower........21MB's

suck huh???

in a vintage machine, a correctly configured LVD Miles2 will outperform an Ultra3 ATTO, for some reason.

again, optimize your drives using the ATTO Tools utility and run some raw benchmarks. We can then get a better feel for whether something is amiss or not.

you may also want to ensure that you point Photoshop at your fastest storage device for scratch space.

Finally able to get back online to download the ATTO utility. (I have the @home cable connection...Rocks when it works, but goes down for days every couple of months)

Anyway the partition I use for photoshop primary scratch on the Cheetah array shows 64.2MB sustained read and 36.7/write. with 8MB. Down to 43.5/read and 26.5/write with 512K. These number look impressive, I just didn't see a dramatic improvement over the old AtlasII in the real world.

Again I had to be a cry baby, but I routinely work w/ files that are 300-400MB. Maybe I need a new G4. My big concern is having my Pressview monitor, which needs a serial and ADB connection work correctly. I know there are adapters, but they make me nervous. I don't know if there is a USB Pressview available and besides these puppies run ~3K. (but I would't live without one and advise all image pros to get one... just my 2 cents worth)

Again, thanks for all help. Gurus rule!