Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OS 9.1 and SoftRAID 2.2.2

FYI.....

I installed OS 9.1 this weekend. The conflict between SoftRAID 2.2.2 and the Startup Disk control panel is resolved.

Someone else, Ton I think, mentioned this also. Thanks, good to know. k

One thing I recently found out the hard way (I'm jealous 'cause you guys are finding out the easy way):

If you have OS 9.0.x on a boot volume or you boot off a CD with OS 9.0.x, it messes with PRAM so that you can't just set the Startup Control Panel to an OS 9.1 boot volume and restart normally. You will get the ole flashing '?'. The workaround I found is to reset LOW PRAM (i.e. NVRAM) by using TechToolPro or doing a four-finger three-chime PRAM reset on a cold reboot.

Hmm.
    On my 9600s, the Startup Disk control panel from 9.1 will always crash, even with extensions off.

This has been confirmed on MacFixIt. Any ideas?

darin,

Did you try MM's procedure and do you have OS9.0.4 installed on another partition/drive? k

turn off your stupid third-party extensions, nimrod.

SoftRAID 2.2.2 is working perfectly on all our machines here under OS9.1.

it's probably that ridiculous spellcheck utility you love so much, or PopChar, or ActionMenus, or Kaleidescope, or OneClick.

and disable Object Support Lib while you're at it.

Darin,

What I found on MacFixIt:

Startup Disk crash on older Power Macs
    Startup Disk crash on older Power Macs Bill Strohm writes: "On my PM8500/Newer MAXpwr 500 MHz G3, the new Startup Disk control panel crashes with either a Type 1 or Type 2 error and recommends restarting, whenever it is opened. No difference with extensions on or off." Replacing this with the control panel from Mac OS 9.0 was a successful work-around. We now have several confirmations of this bug.

Extracting a copy of the Startup Disk control panel from the Mac OS 9.1 Tome (using TomeViewer) and replacing it with the one that was crashing somehow eliminated the crashes for one user.

More generally, the incompatibility of Mac OS 9.1 and Mac OS X may extend beyond Mac OS Classic mode. A reader writes: "Don't use the Startup Disk control panel to select boot drives if you have OS X installed anywhere. It may result in the disk's System Folder getting unblessed and a failure to startup at all."

Another point:

New Macs come with files newer than in Mac OS 9.1 Update
    Schoun Regan (of Complete Mac Seminars) has a new 533MHz G4. The CD that came with it includes files newer than those included with the Mac OS 9.1 Update. A partial listing of the new files reveals:

* Date & Time 8.3.1; Keyboard 8.5.3; Sound 8.5.3; and Startup Disk 9.0.1 are updated control panels.
    * MacOS ROM 6.7.1 is a newer version of this file than what comes in OS 9.1.
    * DVD Player is now up to 2.5.
    * USB Software is bumped to 1.4.8 and FireWire drivers to 2.8 [The FireWire drivers failed to show FireWire ports on both iMacs and PowerBooks. However, another reader found that the new FireWire drivers fixed his problem with a Umax 6450 scanner.]

So, if you installed the downloadable OS9.1 Update, you have an older version of the Startup Disk control panel than what is on the OS9.1 CD. There are some folks here that have the CD, mine is on order. Might be expensive to get from them however. k

The Startup Disk Control Panel for 9.1 was finally rewritten in native language (RISC). I have the full CD and will extract the CP and upload it to our FTP site. The version from the CD is 9.0 and is called Startup Disk.

Thanks, Louie

Mag (aka Dick)

"turn off your stupid third-party extensions, nimrod"

Gee, I thought I mentioned that it crashed with EXTENSIONS OFF, you asswad!

"SoftRAID 2.2.2 is working perfectly on all our machines here under OS9.1."

Did I say anything about SoftRAID. Did I? DID I! NO, short attention span boy!

"it's probably that ridiculous spellcheck utility you love so much, or PopChar, or ActionMenus, or Kaleidescope, or OneClick."

I use two of the four you mention, and I'm sure that others use some as well. We can't all be as cool as you, you fat little weevil.

"and disable Object Support Lib while you're at it."

Now you're insulting me.

Now then,
    the thing that I found odd was the wording of the sentence from the MacFixIt site...

"Extracting a copy of the Startup Disk control panel from the Mac OS 9.1 Tome (using TomeViewer) and replacing it with the one that was crashing...."

Why would one replace the newly extracted one with the one that was crashing? Clearly, I think (hope) that they meant the opposite.

In either case, I shall try Louie's upload and see if I can get this to work.

The only way that could make sense is if the Apple installer porked the CP during installation. But, why not? Give it a shot. Don't forget to restart after you drop it in

guys, Darin, you too

I have a new G4 with many of the new files not included in the OS 9.1 update. Name the files and I'll email them to you. Uploading the files now to the ftp site. Folder is called "Updated OS 9.1 not on download".

j

[This message has been edited by jorge (edited 02 February 2001).]

all moved to the Apple directory on the FTP site.

thanks, guys!

Well, after a clean installation off the real 9.1 CD and the swap of the latest Startup Disk control panel that Jorge uploaded, the control panel *still* crashes whether extensions are ion or off.

I just don't get it (which makes me go insane!). Any ideas? Might this be related to striped volumes? I'll try from a single fixed drive, but that shouldn't make any difference.

Between this and catching up on all XLR8 e-mail, I pulled my fourth all-nighter in 10 days. The hallucinations are beautiful, man.

d,

when your dog starts looking good, got to bed!

Try a clean install when you install OS 9.1 Clean your system folder!!!

j

D & M
    male to male hostility often masks desires deeply embeded in the psyche that the conscious mind refuses to acknowledge.

M

Michael,
    you don't wanna go there.

Jorge,
    what an insult! You actually think that I... ME... Darin from XLR8... the poster child for the clean installation would not do a clean installation of 9.1? Shame shame! Now go play with your rat.

This friggin Startup Disk control panel still quits on me. I think it has something personal against me.

maybe it's those crap video cards you are running.

Michael, it is abundantly clear that Darin desires me sexually. While I defend his right to pursue his lifestyle (I would prefer personally that he do so with a little more decorum), I cannot condone his objectification of my person. I am much, much more than just a hunk. I have a mind, and a personality, an intellect, and most importantly, I have feelings.

I myself don't swing "that way." (Why do you think Darin calls his Mac "swinger," anyway?) I enjoy the company of men, but not in that way. Am I to be crucified because the thought of Darin slobbering over Photoshopped pix of Sly Stallone's body with my head pasted on them makes me shudder? (I have a better physique than Sly, anyway. I'm REAL.)

Those of us who were not genetically programmed to desire the nasty, sweaty huddlings of sex with same-sex partners need to stand up for our rights. We deserve as much dignity and respect as those who frolic with their "roommates," and who have introduced such innovations to Western civilization as the "glory hole."

Just my opinion.

5-0 for mag.

M

Hey Darin, I boot OS 9.1 with a raid on my 9600 and no crashes. I have one other system around (now also OS 9.1) on another disk and can switch between them OK with the Startup Dick Control Panel from the downloadable update. Butt......all manner of brown goo hits the cooling device if I startup inbetween off any OS 9.0.x system disk. Only way to recover is to reset NVRAM. Have you tried resetting NVRAM to see if your crashes will go away?

Darn spellchoker is gettin' all subliminal on me

The startup disk control panel crashing on older macs is a known problem:
    quote:
    Startup Disk crash on older Power Macs Bill Strohm writes: "On my PM8500/Newer MAXpwr 500 MHz G3, the new Startup Disk control panel crashes with either a Type 1 or Type 2 error and recommends restarting, whenever it is opened. No difference with extensions on or off." Replacing this with the control panel from Mac OS 9.0 was a successful work-around. We now have several confirmations of this bug.

Extracting a copy of the Startup Disk control panel from the Mac OS 9.1 Tome (using TomeViewer) and replacing it with the one that was crashing somehow eliminated the crashes for one user.

That's from MacFixit here, about 1/3 of the way down the page.

I had the same problem on my PowerWave, but it mysteriously went away, came back, then went away again.

Regards,
    Miles

[This message has been edited by Miles (edited 03 February 2001).]