Thread: G5 Processor card a ZIF?

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Default G5 Processor card a ZIF?

I find this hard to believe since Apple does not officially approve of upgrades and has not used a zif since the Yikes. At least not what people think of when you say ZIF anyway. So is the G5 on some sort of ZIF card? Someone at the Apple forums seems to be pretty certain that they are in fact zifs but before I spouted off I thought I better ask. Also I don't feel like taking my mac apart

Thanks,
    D
    Damien,

Damien i saw the post over at apple too.

Here is the facts on the G5
    http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/A1387A29AC1C2AE087256C5200611780/$file/PPC970_MPF2002.pdf

PPC970 that is the G5 chip. The card itself I am still searching out. Will post back what I find.

Cheers
    If it wasn't for you I wouldn't be me

Quote Originally Posted by everymac.com
    Is the CPU on the Power Macintosh G5 upgradable? How is it mounted?

Officially, Apple does not specify that the processor on the Power Macintosh G5 series is upgradable, since Apple has no plans to offer upgrade cards for the machines. However, the Power Macintosh G5 models have the processor mounted on a daughtercard with a 300-pin connector.

Are third-party processor upgrade cards available?

Not at this time. All models in the Power Macintosh G5 series have a processor mounted on a custom daughtercard with a 300-pin connector. Although this daughtercard does not contain the ROM, it does appear that the processor is controlled by Apple ASICs (Application-Specific Integrated Circuits), and it will be very difficult for third-parties to get the necessary information to provide upgrade cards. However, upgrade card companies have been very creative in the past in determining ways to get around various limitations, so only time will tell if upgrade cards will be provided for these models.
    This is about as much as I could find on the card.
    Also the card is connected to the logic board quite simply. I am not sure if the "user" in question was talking about this when he mentioned it being a ZIF.
    Could be but I guess we could always ask him.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Looks like you got there before I did :-) We shall see how he takes being contradicted. Maybe nothing will happen but I just had that feeling that maybe that guy Toby would take exception to being told he was wrong. I hope I am wrong about that.....
    Damien,

Guess we can just wait and see huh Always pray for ppl to accept being wrong and not go over the edge. Just be nice if they researched before speeaking. Soomething i have learned to do. Took some time but I eventually figured that out.