Thread: A new 9600, now what..(first)

Hi guys,

I haven't been here for a while. But it is time once again to learn. I just returned from the semi annual Mac Garage sale hosted by the local MUG. This time I purchased a 9600/233. I really have gotten my 7600 hot rodded quite nicely. But when I noticed that this machine had been pulled from a professional graphics shop and still had an unwiped hard drive, I just had to have it. Not only did I get all sorts of very nice software, I now have a 9600. ($150). It is very clean on the inside.

I have to back up all that nice software before I do anything else. Fortunatly, part of my recent 7600 hot rodding involved installing an internal Sony burner (IDE). So I either get a transfer ethernet cable and first drag the 9600 files, and then burn them, or, I start swapping hard drives and burners.

Can someone please point me to some learning resources for working inside the 9600? Mine has these large green plastic handles with what looks like some green handles that you turn to release. This rig must be removed before I can pull the processor card.

Oh - My - God!!! I just figured it out. This thing opens as wide as my 7600!!! I am absolutely giddy. Way cool.

So now then, for the real questions:
    Is the bus on this machine capable of faster speeds then the 7600?
    Is this a Kansas machine?
    What are the quirks and tweaks to keep in mind with 6 slot Macs verses 3?
    Why SSE? Will my XLR8 G3/400 Zif carrier work in the 9600? It isn't SSE.

And the hard drive. It seems to be isolated beside the power supply. I can see 2 screws on top. Is this a pretty easy removal procedure?

I also scored a copy of system X. So I want to learn how to install that also. The copy I picked up was for updating X on an iMac.

Thanks.

lb

save yourself some time. I've burned CDROMs over ethernet without copying files top my Mac's local hard drive.

------------------
    ricercar

Everything seems like overkill until you get used to it. - Ironmac

Well, first off, the busses are no faster, and it isn't a Kansas MoBo.

The thing to remember with six slots, bus masters (SCSI cards, IDE cards, maybe some firewire cards) belong in slots 1 & 4 (from the top down).

The SSE is only necessary with G4 processors and certain cards.

The hard drive caddy slides toward you when those two screws are removed. Be careful of the cables when reinstalling it.

With that out of the way, I would swap all the internals out of the 7600, and into the 9600 (unless you have space constraints regarding the desktop chassis).

This would give you a 9600 G3 400, and a 7600 233. The 9600 is a joy to work on and in, with room for loadsa drives & RAM, and a beefy power supply. You could move all the drives into the 9600, move stuff around as necessary, and then move one drive back into the 7600.

Only 1 & 4? The IDE for sure. Does USB fit into that category? I assumed with the 3 extra slots I can now shop for a lone firewire card more cheaply than getting a combo card.

The only limitation I see at the moment from jumping whole hog into the 9600 and cannibalizing the 7600 is that 9600 has no RCA or video jacks. I only just got my old turntable out of mothballs and found a nice used Harmon Kardon amp.

But maybe now that I have extra slots I should be thinking of an avid card or some such?

And the bays. The bays don't look like they fit the sleds the 7600 uses to mount a drive in the chassis. Is there a special 96009 type sled that I need to search out to mount my hard drives in the 9600?

The bays look deep enough for two drives per bay. Is this right?

Thanks.

lb

Hmmm... This thread seems to be dead ... I will try again here just in case and if not, I will try a new thread.

I still would like to know what sort of mounting hardware I need with the 9600? It would be best to find a pictorial tutorial on line. I think I even saw one once for the 8600. But whatever it takes, it sure doen't look like the 7300 HD sleds will work. Am I wrong?

And, I just tested the bus speeds with my XLR8 G3/400 ZIF card. The 9600 is definatly faster in the bus than my 7300, which is faster than my 7600. The 9600 will actually start and run fine at 58MHz. Haven't given it days and heavy loads but from past testing and "getting a feel for" instability, I am thinking this machine is definitly faster than the 7300. The 7300 won't go reliably over 55 MHz. %3.8 for the 7600.

And that makes me think that perhaps I will think harder about a G4/500 given it's only limitation with this machine is that with a 9x multiplier it has to run at 55.5 MHz for thee 500 speed.

Hmmmmm ....

lb

Hey lb,

?I don't thinks its the thread fault, everybody was out happy fathering days this weekend. Not a whole lot of activity to get folks to hangin around.

?The 9600 has metal trays that should be installed in each bay. They have two screws, one to each side in front, that allow the tray to slide out. Bezels and trays for the 8600 and Beige G3 will fit it.

?The bays are large enough for CD's but will not accept two 1/2 height drives, too bad. I never had a 9600, I had the 8600 and it came with a 2 drive bracket screwed to the floor that would allow side by side mounting for 2 more hard drives. I don't know if that's possible with the full compliment of 6 PCI slots in the 9600.

?I think I'd still pull all the goodies from the 7600 and put in the 9600, keep the 7600 for your analog music server. It should do that just fine. Ethernet to your 9600 and your set. You'll be able to multi-task and multi-process your music on the two machines. Kewl.

Rick

[This message has been edited by ricks (edited 18 June 2002).]

just to toss in my two cents,

Video Card ....and thus, my two words

------------------
    Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

posted 18 June 2002 01:48 ??? ???? ??
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yea, I guess that is true. My weekend was so full it felt like a much longer time...

I will have to look longer and harder at the bays. Hey, it took me a while to "get" the way the internal case opened so I could be staring straight at it and not comprehending it yet.

Do I assume the front beige plastic covers snap off and I should see a drive sled in each bay area? If so, I think someone took it with the drives. Which seems odd because it came with a 2 gig drive that is packed with good things. (Bwa ha haaaa. yea sure, I am buying this 9600 just for the machine for $150. Would still be a good price but the goodies... oh my. All that professional graphic software I always wanted but couldn't afford.. Bwa ha haaa..)

lb

PS I completly agree about the video card. I just started another thread in the video section abot that very idea. Any suggestions about the 2 cards that work with X and older Macs?

[This message has been edited by levelbest (edited 18 June 2002).]

Video cards on unsupported Macs....always interesting.

I think my choices would start with a Radeon Mac Edition and include the Nexus as well as the Orion. I thought the Orion was a 16MB card, the Nexus was a 32MB card, yes? These along with the Rage from the G3 are your best bet. I'm not disparaging the iXmicro, just don't have the experience with them.

Rick

BTW, when you do your OSX install keep your computer close to stock as possible. Your XLR8 cpu upgrade is OK but add the other stuff after the OSX install, it'll go much better.

I was just reading some tech notes on the ATI Nexus, on ATI's site. http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/3814.html
    It says that the Nexus card can cause kernel panics and that ATI has a Bios patch available, but not for unsupported machines.

Can anyone say more about a Nexus card working on my 9600? I am definitely working on putting OS X on my 9600 now.

(no luck so far getting the iMac restore CD's to install X on the 9600)

lb

lb,

Your link took me to a page describing kernal panics with a Radeon Mac Edition. Take a look here
    http://www.ati.com/support/products/...&cmdNext=GO%21

k

Hmmm. I followed the Nexus link again and I didn't quite get there. Does that mean the Nexus card does work well under X and an older system like my 9600?

I recently posted on the sales items list here in the forums responding to someone suggesting I look into the new 7000 card. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000273.html

I initially resisted because of earlier discussions on XLR8yourmac.com had mentioned the 7000 really isn't working with beige and older macs under X (My goal).

But reading new postings http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/..._feedback.html suggest that Apple and ATI may have worked out a solution. That will be a load off my mind. Either I can just budget properly and get a 7000 card outright, with warranty, or, the used video card prices will finally start to drop and become a little more reasonable to acquire.

lb