Thread: OS for a modified 9500

9500/120 with a G3/400 sonnet card, ati graphics card w/32Mb VRam
    96Mb ram 1Gig HD (9G U2W/adaptec 2906, but I'm trying to recover it from a failure of some sort so it's sort of dead now). Anyway, I'm running 8.1 right now, but I'm wondering what the best future is for my machine, like 9.1 or whatever. I heard that there is a point where too much ram actually slows down the thing. Fact or fiction? I figure I'll buy a G4 when I can afford it, but even then I will probably keep my 9500.

Mac OS 9.1 is the last version that will run without modification in your 9500. With the help of XPostFacto, you can install and run Mac OS X. The limit of memory is 1.5GB (12 128MB DIMMs. Use only 60ns/EDO Memory!). There is no slowdown with this much memory. Most programs actually run faster!

If you add this much memory, you will want to turn off Startup Memory Testing after you've verified the memory is good. There seems to be a bug in the 9500 ROMs that causes the test to loop forever with this much memory until a force reboot is done. To turn of Startup Memory testing, open the Memory control panel while holding Command-Option.

thanks for the response. I thought OSX was out of the question, but I guess nothing is set in stone with these things. One more question. Where can I get OS 9.1? Again, thanks.

I think I just found a possible solution, but in order for me to update to 9.1 using the disk I have, I need to do it from 8.5. How can I get from 8.1 to 8.5?
    thanks

Nope! The 9.1 Update CD requires Mac OS 9.0. You cannot upgrade any version of 8 to 9. There are various sources of Mac OS 9. Look in the back of any Mac Magazine.

I don't get it. The disks I have, while for a G4, have a readme file that talks about upgrading from OS8.5. What's the deal?

There's another thing that has been driving me to insanity which is my motivation for all this. I'm using Netscape 4.7 and can't get anything secured. I can't run anything else because of my OS. I'm trying to get something that will work. I didn't have any of these problems before my computer got messed up by my uncle. I think I was running OS8.5 off my 9G, but only have 8.1 on my 1G. I'm getting fed up with a lot of problems, but if I can solve this OS thing I think I'll regain some of my sanity. thanks

Are the G4 CDs you have for OS9.2? If so they will NOT install on any Mac older than a Beige G3. The installer looks at your computer to see if it's a compatible model for the OS that's to be installed. The reverse is also true, you cannot install an OS that is older than the computer that your installing on.

You will not be able to run a "UPGRADE" version installer from OS8.x, only a full version of OS9.x will do that.

I am running both OS9.1 and OSX on my 8500. Works great. You'll want quite a bit of ram if you're going to run OSX, at least 384 or 512 MBs. OSX likes RAM.

Rick

Ricks is right. If the CD was made for a specific Mac, it will not work on your Mac. You need to use the Retail version of the CD. I found 9.0 (with a 9.1 upgrade CD) available from MemorySolution.com for $49/

lv

I'm not sure exactly what kind of discs I have, but I just spent the afternoon installing 9.1 and it works so far. (I booted from the disc and installed there - no problem) I also updated to Netscape 6.2.2. I think I'm regaining my sanity. I think the next step will be some ram and try to recover my 9G drive. I'm a little interested in OSX, but I have heard that some don't like it. Are there any downsides to running OSX, and what is the biggest attraction to it? Thanks

For my 9500s I dual boot between MacOS 8.6 and 9.1. In my experience, MacOS 8.6 is significantly more dependable for recording and editing multi-channel audio, while 9.1 is much more reliable when burning audio CDs with Toast Titanium and Lite (Roxio's 5.0.x versions).

This is not to say I'm resistant to modern MacOS; I use the latest OSX (today it's 10.1.4) on my daily driver PowerBook.

My experience with un-intended hardware may be lucky. I use installer CDs from a G4 "digital audio" successfully for two 9500s, a 20th Anniversary Mac, and a Beige G3. The G4 installer gets me to 9.1 without the inconvenience of upgrading the 9.0.x license I have for each of these machines.

However, I do have occasional failures on CDROMs bundled with hardware used on other hardware. PowerBook installers always fail on desktops (and vice versa), and the 20th Anniversary 8.0 installer fails on all other Macintoshes.

------------------
    ricercar

Everything seems like overkill until you get used to it. - Ironmac