Thread: Pentium Cooler for XLR8 upgraded bg G3

Hi Guys& Gals
    I just installed the XLR8 G4 500Mhz MPe upgrade card to my 7500 DT bg G3...thanks to Deb in macguru sales.
    After reading your guidelines ( for about the last 6 months as Louie and magician know :-D) I went to Radio Shack to buy the Pentium Cooler
    fan/heat sink that is suggested by the gurus for the 7500 box.
    However I could not find one that was not too tall when placed ontop of the upgrade processor--and they did have 4 to choose from at this Radio Shack.

I did talk to Don at XLR8 and he did say I should be OK without it as long as the temp stays below 65? and I seem to only get to 44? with all my audio running and processor at 95% but he did say if I was to crank up the speed to 533Mhz it would be a VERY good idea to add the CPU fan.

Anyway , can anyone give me a more specific fan/heat sink to get from a specific place ( a part number would be extra groovy!) that will definitely
    fit into the BG G3 7500 DT case. Thanks!

If your space is extremely limited, you might consider TennMax's Lasagna cooler. I used this in a notebook type computer and was quite satisfied. The specs for the cooler can be seen at: Lasagna OEM

The one you want is p/n 50-10-2B-C2 and runs $22. Be sure to specify the 3 pin (12v) connector and clips for Socket7 and Socket370.

These coolers aren't any thicker that the heatsink that XLR8 puts on their boards from the factory!

[This message has been edited by lasvegas (edited 19 August 2001).]

Hmmm....... I have been searching for a fan for my 8600's XLR8 500Mhz G3 Carrier card to overclock...looks like this one can do it!

------------------
    ObsoleteMac
    members.tripod.com/threedeefx/index.htm

Interesting -

Las, your link does not work -at least with mysetup. TennMax does though - http://www.tennMax.com

I'm not sure I found the right one - but it seems close. Is this it?

Do it fit perfectly on the PPC - with the clips & stuff? I often find that every x86 piece I try is off by just enough to give me a BIG headache

ray,

So I assume you have a 7500/604e system that was upgraded to a G3 (via Carrier card, I guess) and is not running a G4MPe on the same said carrier card - right?

I thought the 7400/G4 was limited to a 9x - so at you max rated bus speed you could (should?) only get about 450Mhz out of it... so either you are doing some mad overclocking or maybe you have a BeigeG3/Gossamer (same case as the 7500.. mostly) - so you could go @ 594 (9x66Mhz) and some Gossamers run at 83Mhz without issue.

I REALLY wish GURUs would carry the little stuff like this - since they would ONLY sell stuff that works with PPC/Mac systems and they would put disclaimers and explinations where necessary. One stop shop would be

------------------
    Life in the fast lane leads to:
    The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

Woops! Sorry about that! Not familiar enough with UBB codes yet. I fixed it below but I'll put the link HERE again. The cooler I was referring to is this one:

Works Great! Less Filling! Well... Quiet as hell anyway!

[This message has been edited by lasvegas (edited 19 August 2001).]

Thanks guys --I do have a Bg G3 in a 7500DT case and with the original heatsink there is only about an1/8" to add a fan on top of that heat sink
    once you flip down the upper level drive bay section. Even if you replace the heat sink entirely with a heat sink fan combo we're talking aprox 7/8"
    total between the top of the XLR8 G4 500MHZ upgrade daughtercard to the bottom of the upper compartment.
    I still don't think any of these suggestions will actually fit though I do APPRECIATE the help
    Anybody out there ( c'mon you guru moderators who endorse doing this) that have actually added a "Pentium Cooler" heatsink/fan to thier upgrade cards in a Bg G3 7500DT case--

What I have done in the past, where there wasn't enough room to stick a small fan on the heat sink, was to add a 60mm or 80mm fan in another location using double-sided foam tape and blowing towards the heat sink. It will give you more airflow and will more than compensate for not having a small fan directly on the heat sink. Even an extra-thin 40mm hi-output fan will do the trick. k

Raydetone:

The Lasagna Cooler I mentioned below would completely replace the heatsink on the XLR8 and is no thicker than the original heatsink. In a tight place, it's probably the best solution. I used this fan in my iOpener which enabled me to completely remove the original huge heatsink, install a 333MHz K6 and add a hard drive. My wife uses it to surf better then 4 hours a day without problems.

Thanks for the suggestions

Lasvegas- re: that Lasagna 10mm high cooler which replaces the heat sink--how does that mount to the CPU?
    Went to the web site and studied your photo...still not sure ? Is the heat sink part still thermal greased to the CPU?
    -On my system Full tilt audio runs only at 44? right now so I won't mess with something unless its a lock but I would like to up clock it -533M would be nice

Hi KAye: Thankds for the suggestion.
    What about the Pentium cooler that the macgurus say that they have specifically used with my specific Bg G3 when upclocking an XLR8 daughtercard
    as mentionad at http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...8boards1z.html
    in the "in THe Trenches paragraph? Or is that just for the mini tower BG G3? I had thought it was more for the 7500DT case...could you check with one of the gurus for me on that and the actual part number , please?
    Thanks

quote:
    The Beige G3 Desktop (DT) design, aka the 7500-series enclosure, presents a different challenge. It is possible to mount a single deep fan on the steel chassis to the rear of the lower drive bay, with air flow oriented left-to-right, accelerating air flow inside the case. You should not hesitate to incorporate a Pentium Cooler heatsink, as well.

The first part refers to installing a fan in the HD area - where Apple engineers perforated the sheet metal to allow better airflow. It even should have mounting screw holes.

The second part (bold) is fairly vague - which is why GURUS should SELL this stuff. Then they can be specific. Time to EXPAND!

thanks for the pic, lasV

Yes, magician wrote that and I believe it was a Radio Shack model, but has since lost the part number. I think that lasvegas has pointed you toward what you need. k

The clips included with the lasagna clip right into the sides of the cooler. One of mine broke and they sent me a new set. Took me all of 3 minutes to replace it with a pair of needle-nose pliers. The cooler also includes thermal tape on the bottom side so grease shouldn't be needed. It's a pretty snug fit.

[This message has been edited by lasvegas (edited 20 August 2001).]

Hey les -now I'm confused
    The lasgna cooler -the one thats 10mm hi is a heat sink and a fan-correct?
    What do mean it clips to the cooler? I thought it was the cooler...
    and is placed directly on top of the cpu...can you clarify that.
    Thanks

The fan in incorporated into the heatsink in the Lasagna. Hence the name "cooler." The clips that attach the Lasagna to the processor fit between the lowest grids on each side of the cooler. This causes the cooler to set only 10mm above the processor.

ok...SORRY.

yes, I have lost the part number. I think Louie may have it, and it may be possible to find it by searching in the archives. We have had this conversation before (and I really should post the part number on that web page).

believe it or not, there is a GOOD REASON why i have not already done so:

WE WILL BE SELLING A REALLY COOL UNIT VERY SHORTLY.

For those of you who are running recent XLR8 boards and have seen the fan units that they include with the Velocity, those are the ones. XLR8 has a shit-load of them, purchased at my insistence. All we're waiting on right now is these stupid wire clips that hold the unit in place. Again, those of you who have used these things know exactly which wire clips I am talking about.

I did not want to talk about this on the forums until we were ready to launch, but friends, this has turned into a debacle that is taking months. It's literally tearing the ass outa me. I'm pretty sure our target price for these things is $9.99, too. No kidding.

anyway. I have heard your cries of lamentation.

I just wanted to make sure you knew that I am trying to do something about it, and bring this killer product to market with XLR8. Come to think of it....I will cc Dave Marsden with this, and see if he wants to jump in and give us a more recent update. He can also confirm the SRP. Hopefully we can bring it in at ten bucks. I think it will be well worth it. Including a tube of thermal grease, right?

FWIW, here's a pic of a Pentium Cooler on a bG3:

[This message has been edited by magician (edited 27 August 2001).]