Thread: Cant hear mic through speakers

Default Cant hear mic through speakers

Hi, If I connected a mic through the Mac mic input. Is it possible to hear it from my external speakers? Does it work like that? I see the levels going up from the Sound (system preferences) but somehow no sound is going out the speakers. Need setup help. Thanks

There should be an option in Sound preferences to route the input to the output. I say should because my DA has no built-in sound input, and I don't remember if this option is available in OSX. I know it's there in 9 if your Mac has a sound input. You have more options for sound I/O in Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup if it doesn't show up in System Preferences>Sound.

You will experience a very slight delay (a few ms) between what goes in, and what comes out.

I know that with Soundcontroller, CD SpinDoctor, or WireTap, (I use all three) you can set the throughput so that the mic goes straight out the speakers (watch out for feedback). I also have IBM ViaVoice and it allows mic to the audio out (headphones or external speakers).

I've never done it through the OS though.
    I'm reminded of the immortal Socrates who said......."I drank WHAT?????"