Thread: MP3 vs AAC/MPG4?

Hi

What is the difference in sound quality/fidelity, between a 192Kb/s MP3 and a 128Kb/s AAC sound file.

Thanks for any help.

Well, just got iTunes 4 installed, and tried out the new AAC stuff. To answer your question, I found a 128kb/s AAC was roughly equal to a 256kb/s Variable Bit Rate mp3. So it's better quality than 192kb/s mp3. At least to my ears that's about it.

Quality was better, but I personally didn't hear a lot of difference in fidelity; however, I'm not as good at detecting that, so see if someone else weighs in on it.

I don't have the link but I remember browsing a site that did a subjective comparison of 128AAC and 192mp3. I think it was at macwrite.com. anyway, I did some re-encoding of my CDs and couldn't tell any difference in when listening with my iPod, either through headphones or line out to the stereo, via the dock. So it depends on how good your ears are. As for me, I was up against the wall with a nearly full 30 gig iPod and couldn't justify buying a 40. Re-encoding some of my CD's freed up about 25% hard drive space.