Thread: Pros and Cons of a Delta 1010 vs. Echo Layla Audio Cards

Well, it finally happened, my beloved Core2 died yesterday. Seems like these things happen right after you've plunked down some money on something else. Anyway, both the Delta 1010 and Layla are 8 I/0, 24/96, external converters, and work in X. They are also about the same price. I have other Delta cards and like them, but I have never used or heard any Echo cards. Does anyone have an opinion on either of these cards, or perhaps used them? Thanks.

You can't go wrong with M Audio Delta series. My semi-pro studio bought Delta 1010, and Delta DIO 2496 interfaces. Both Delta models have been perfectly stable under OS 9 and X in a 20th Anniversary Mac, two 9500s and a Beige G3. I even used them with a PCI expansion chassis on my Pismo laptop. Perfectly stable and dependable even for live performances.

A fellow sound guy I know had lots of crashes with his Echo units (Layla, Gina). I always told him to get M Audio, but he eventually got a Mackie stand alone recorder becuase he didn't trust computer-based recording any more.

if you're interested in used gear, I'm asking $400 OBO for my lightly used Delta 1010. I haven't been working much sound in the two years since my son was born. Email me for fastest response. I'm not visiting these forums daily any more.
    ------------------
    ricercar

Everything seems like overkill until you get used to it. - Ironmac

[This message has been edited by ricercar (edited 23 April 2003).]

Well, it wasn't the Core2, it was/is apparently a long running issue with Nuendo and 9.1 and later that Steinberg is aware of. Something with the OS ROM file in the system folder having to be downgraded to an earlier version. I had been using Nuendo with 9.0.4 on a PTP and it was rock solid, but once I moved to a G4 desktop that requires 9.1 or later to run, it would hard crash anytime I hit Record (I had thought it was the Core2's A/D converters). Just thought I'd mention it in case someone else was considering a similer move. I'm off to cross my fingers and see if any of the fixes actually work.

Disabling quicktime exchange fixed it. I'm so glad it didn't come down to replacing ROM files with earlier versions.