Thread: 7500, trio card and Mbox

I have a 7500 that I wanted to upgrade as a project. I was thinking the Sonnet Trio card would be nice for it. One of the questions I have is I was planning to us a Digidesign MBox with it and I was wondering if anyone has done this yet? Or any audio usb gear with that card. I've already got the MBox working fine with my iBook so this is just an experiment.

I've been looking at that Sonnet card myself as it's the perfect solution for my 8500 if it works. There have been a couple posters here who have it but unfortunately they're not doing DAW stuff so I dunno. I think there could be some PCI bus issues on beige Macs if you try to run too much off the card at once. USB is known for flakey audio performance even on native machines. It would be nice to have for other periphials though.

I think I'll bite the bullet soon and get one (Trio card) but I don't have an M-Box (I'm using PTFree) and still haven't decided wether to invest in an 001 or a 2408. The 002 is above my budget and the 828/896 haven't gotten good reviews for sound/build quality which is my primary concern. I'd get a 2" tape machine and a good analog desk if I could afford to but I digress.....

[This message has been edited by M.Brane (edited 28 November 2002).]

yeah i'd be getting a 2" and an API desk if i had the money. but still you can do fun things with DAW's. i've got a growing collection of 2 track machines to get a true analog sound when i need it. let me know how the card works for you with what ever interface you go with.

Not that this will completely answer your question, but I thought I'd chime in on this one. At the DUC, it's been noted that the Sonnet ATA card and (insert flavor__________) USB cards work for PT's LE (in "New World and Old World Mac's) as far as MIDI interfacing and internal ATA drives go. However, I haven't seen any info mentioned on the Trio. This might actually be worth you trying to get Sonnet to allow you to "test before you buy" -> for compatibility scenario.

I think if you're just gonna be dumping only (4 total isn't it???) a couple of tracks into your Mac at one time, this should probably work OK, but as I said, I haven't heard any concrete info on it.

------------------
    Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

[This message has been edited by billbo (edited 28 November 2002).]

it's more using the USB ports i'm worried about. i know i could always use a second scsi drive to record to fine and use the ide drives as offline storage so to speak. but digi hasn't listed any add on USB cards as being approved for the mbox. only built in USB ports. but thanks for the info. i'll keep that in mind. i still might abandon the trio and just get the tempo card.

mattesque,
    I found this, this, and THIS.

Hope this helps

------------------
    Bill

thanks for the heads up. i'll watch those to see if any one answers difinatively. I'm still new here but this is turning out to be a great little board. thanks for all the help.

Mattesque,

STOP! TURN BACK!! SAVE YOURSELF!!!

I have an 8500 w/Sonnet 450 MHz G4. I went through USB Audio Hell before finally giving up on the idea. After-market USB -- at least in my experience -- just isn't robust enough to handle serious audio I/O.

I tried both an Edirol UA-5 and my buddy's mBox through a Datatek Firewire/USB combo PCI card. I could bring audio into Digital Performer, but once I got past maybe four tracks of audio, the whole thing would begin to choke. I tried this with a different card -- a Keyspan USB-only card. Exact same story.

I also got my hands on an 828, and the results with the Firewire part of the USB/FW card were even worse.

I ended up buying a 2408 Mk 1 and PCI-324 card on eBay. That system was actually designed to run on hardware of this vintage. Another buddy of mine uses it on his 7300, and it works like a charm.

Good luck!
    Perry

thanks for the heads up. i've all ready got the mbox working nicely on my ibook so this was just a secondary thing. guess it'll stay as my only use for the mbox. did you post over on DUC about this? i've been finding others saying the same thing over there.

Yer Welcome, Mattesque

What's "DUC"??

Thanks,
    Perry

DUC is the forum on Digidesign's website. Good for something, not so good for others.

If you need to work on stuff @ home, why not try PT's FREE???

You could just use an X-Over E/Net cable to dump them onto the 7500 from your iBook, then you already have 2 copies of your PT's files.

Just a thought.

------------------
    Bill