Thread: Disk Image and other copy tricks

Hi all,
    I was just scanning some of the older posts in hopes of not repeating a thread but I think this is new stuff. It certainly is for me anyway. I am very new to recording. And I am still a little behind with some Mac lingo (because I held on to my 575 untill a year ago January - wasn't even in the post 7.5 PPC world until then)

I just installed a brand new Sony IDE CDRW (internal) in my 7600. I also put in a SIIG ATA 133/100 PCI IDE card and a new Maxtor 60 Gig HD. I also picked up Toast from Amazon but they have free shipping deal that has fine print that it won't ship for 2 weeks. AAARRRGH!

So I am trying to do what I can until my Toast arrives. Question. MY friend, who is knowledgable about PC's but who also has a 7300, suggests that is is pretty easy to open a commercial music cd and to copy the tracks onto my HD. But I can't make this work. Do I need special software to do this? And what exactly is disk image and how might it be a necessary step in what I am trying to do? I remember that using disk image might be useful but I really don't remember why or how yet?

Copying it to my disk by dragging it gave me only the images of files that opened an old copy of a shareware mpeg player, which couldn't do anything with them either. At the very least I would like to test the alleged stutter problem with my new SIIG card. The Sony has a small problem with the audio plug socket. It is not the same as the female cable end that is on my MOBO and which attached to the OEM Apple CD reader. All I need to do is shave some plastic so it's no big deal. But before doing that I wanted to use the burner as a CD drive and to copy a CD or just some tracks to my disk, and to play em back.

Ideas on how this is done? Thanks. PS - The Sony is a new 24x write 40x read and it cost $70. After searching long and hard I thought this was a pretty good solution. Yes it's internal but hey, it's also fast enough not to go obsolete overnight. And at that price point if it did after several years of service, I could live with it. - lb

PS - I just got Sound Jam to convert a bunch of files from my CD. Unfortunately SJ is no longer sold so once this demo runs out I will have to figure out something else. But I STILL don't know about copying full on CDs.

[This message has been edited by levelbest (edited 19 April 2002).]

lb, i've got a 7500 that i use for mp3 and analog to digital audio conversion. If your 7600 can support OS9.x then you could use iTunes and disc burner, assuming the sony CDRW is supported. Otherwise, SoundJam is your best bet, and you could probably buy the registration key from someone who is willing to sell you their license, not sure what the fine print says, or find a new copy of discontinued software on ebay. iTunes is free and will convert CD's to MP3 and back again for burning a music CD. It is a pretty slick program but you gotta have OS 9.

Well. I thought I had made a disk image of an audio cd in the past using disk copy, I just tried it but. no go. Seems there was toast lite version you could download and play with till your software arrives.(2 weeks?AAARRRGH I hate waitin...) Toast allows you to create a disk image of an audio cd on your HD. Sounds like a good price on the burner!!

You could use iTunes to rip aiff files from the disc. Or you could import them into ProToolsFree then export and burn. iTunes would be simpler. If you rip them as MP3's your going to have quality loss. Did you try copying the individual files one at a time? Maybe you got one of them new copy-protected discs.

Edit: Duh! I just realized you didn't mention having a G3-4 in that Mac. If you don't then iTunes or PTF is probably out of the question.

[This message has been edited by M.Brane (edited 20 April 2002).]

Actually, wont iTunes work without having a G3 or 4 upgrade? Also, just FYI, I have used iTunes to burn CD's from the AIFF files, not losing any audio due to converting AIFF>MP3>AIFF. The sound files I am referring to are ones that I have recorded from record albums.
    Anyway, iTunes is definitely not supported in OS prior to 9, so that question needs answered.

Oops, I thought I replied to this thread last night. Must have needed the rest... ;-)

OK, I have a carrier (XLR8) G3/400. And, after thinking long and hard about it and realizing that, 1) I have no system install disk for my 8.6 and therefore I can never do a clean install or do the repairs mentioned earlier, 2) iTunes is free with 9.1 and sound Jam is no longer available, I decided to just call Apple and order it.

I have denied so much creative time on my mac from muddling along with my old 575. (It's still here behind me on the floor. Panorama sent me the older version of my favorite database app, which runs in ram with a very small disk footprint, so I will now be able to use the 575 for, other stuff, someday.)

It is so cool to be using my mac as a jukebox, I can't wait until Toast arrives. BTW, I would like to know about video editing software also. iMovie was free, then version 2 costs. Is there any way to find a willing downloadee for iMovie, the free version? Also, Avid had a nice little app that came with my ex girlfriends old powermac (forget which one - the mac, not the girlfriend). Does anyone know if that program is still availible somewhere? Now that I have some disk space - and some access speed, I would like to try my hand at editing some movies. Maybe there is a better forum thread for full discussion of movies but, where and how toet started would be nice to know.

PS - There are no stuttering problems with this card. (SIIG ATA 133/100)

lb

[This message has been edited by levelbest (edited 20 April 2002).]