Thread: Mastering on the cheap????

Hey all,

I've just decided that my reel to reel needs to go, and I need a little help moving the contents of my tapes to CD.

Here's what I've got:
    Mono recordings of old jazz performances (true mono, one track only).

I'm importing them as waves on the PC, as I can afford to let the PC do nothing but record sound for days at a time.

I'm having problems with getting my track (left) to burn to a cd as left and right. I wanna eliminate the right track (hiss), and burn the left track (music) as both left and right. I need a serious increase in levels as well, and I need to do it digitally, as the line is not adjustable.

I'd also like to kill 8khz, as this is the hiss frequency for old tape (pre DBX).

As this is a one time effort, I'd also like to use demo-ware...any thoughts?

Stuff I've already got which may help:
    Toast 5.1
    iTunes 2.0.3
    OLD versions of Macromedia Deck & SoundEdit

[This message has been edited by chrismenke (edited 17 March 2002).]

I believe BIAS has a timed out demo of Peak available. You could also use ProToolsFree.

OSC/MacroMedia Deck and ProTools are aimed more at the multi-track recording process than the put-an-old-recording-on-a-cd audience. SoundEdit and Peak are the proper tools for that job.

Use SoundEdit 16 to record a mono AIFF file, which plays on both audio channels when burned to an audio CD. With the v2.0.7 update, SoundEdit 16 runs on MacOS through 9.2.2. If you can't find the 2.0.7 update, email me. This update is required for MacSO 8.x and on, IIRC.

SoundEdit has a Normalize function on the Modify menu. Normalization increases overall volume such that the highest amplitude of a recording becomes the exact 100% point without using compression. Tasty.

SoundEdit 16 has an equalizer slider at 8.1 KHz, but you likely want a notch filter, not included, to prevent modifying the music at nearby frequencies to the hiss point.

You're going to have to pay money to get a notch filter to remove the 8KHz hiss. I have never seen free/demo/download audio software with filters that sophisticated. There are some DSP effects included in Peak LE ($69 street) for removing LP noise. Peak LE may also have notch filters, but unfortunately I've been using the full Peak VST ($250 street) too long to recall wheter LE version has a notch filter.

Note that SoundEdit 16 was written for mac audio hardware in the 680x0 era. I believe Apple changed audio-input chipsets with the PPC intro, and at least twice since then, not including the TriPath output amps of the "Digital Audio" G4 line. You may wish to consider _recording_ on a PPC-era software package and _editing_ in SE16. For example UltraRecorder, $25 shareware that has NEVER crashed on me, seems to yield a better recording than SE16, but offers no editing after-the-fact, as SE16 does.

SoundEdit 16 remains on my hard drives of my G3 audio machines, but I migrated to Peak LE in 1997 to edit cassette and minidisc recordings for CDs. Like UltraRecorder, Peak's seems to yield better quality results than SE16 on a PPC machine. Get the 14-day demo of Peak or Peak LE at http://www.bias-inc.com.

[This message has been edited by ricercar (edited 18 March 2002).]

Thanks ricercar,

Seeing as I've already pulled in most of the tapes to CD quality mono .wav on my PC, is this going to work ok with SoundEdit? I've been able to get both tracks through the following convoluted process:
    Drop .wav onto Toast
    Toast converts to .aif
    Mount Toast Image
    Use Toast to extract .aif from .cdda
    Drop into iTunes
    Burn (sadly without the EQ info I wanted to use on 8kHz)

I know this is a total kludge, and will try and find my old Macromedia SuperCD from my MM days...