Thread: AVI troubles crossplatform

I thought I would post a topic on this as it has been an annoyance for me for many long months. Sometimes a friend (who is on a pc) will send me an avi. or divx. file and when I try to view it using quicktime the visuals work just fine but there is either NO audio or the audio skips. In the latter situation I can usually fix the problem by running the file through "Divx validator" but in the case where there is no audio, that doesn't work. I got into "movie properties" in QT and a sound track is still showing up only there will be nothing to hear. Are there some third party codecs I need that perhaps I don't have? (I'm running OS9 here too.)

Hopefully someone knows something about this. I'm sure a lot of people have run into this problem.
    Thanks,

- Dr T

Divx now has a free mac encoder/decoder here: http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/

and this changes a Divx encoded .avi to playback using the 3ivx codec. http://doctor.3ivx.com/

Some AVIs still may not play back, but most should. Hope this helps.

Despaxas,

Thanks heaps for that. I used to have divx doctor and I forgot about it. That helped for a few files but in the case when audio has been encoded with ac3 I had an issue because quicktime will not play ac3 files nor will divx doctor seem to help me run them. So I gave up on trying to run them and decided to try to convert instead. In the end I used this awesome program called "mAC3Dec" to convert the ac3 sound track to mp3 format then pasted the sound track onto the quicktime visuals. Done. Worked fine. Appreciate the help,

- Dr T.