Thread: iLife and Pioneer DVD Burners.

Today the guy at the Mac store told me two things I find possibley not true. The first thing was that iLife contains even MORE features than the versions you can "Upgrade" to for free via the most current software update.

The second thing he told me was that most of the time, the Pioneer drives (A04 and 05's.. which ARE the Super Drives) will NOT work w/ iDVD.

Has anyone found this to be true? Everyone I've talked to that installed a Pioneer 04 or 05 after the fact has had success.

I think he just wanted me to plunk down $2,000 on a new G4 vs a $280 DVD drive.

Anyone?

Jason

I added an A03 to a G4 350 AGP and a 104 to a G4 500 DP and both work fine with iDVD. I don't know anything about iLife, though.

That Apple store guy was trying to sell you a line of bull. Either that, and this is more likely, he has no idea what he was talking about and was just spewing out his Apple training. iLife and iDVD work with aftermarket Pioneer drives. Even in oldworld clones like mine.

------------------
    Power Tower Pro 225
    G4 800, 1GB RAM
    MacOS X 10.2.4 (Jaguar)

[This message has been edited by marcush (edited 05 March 2003).]

quote:
    Originally posted by jpoprock:
    Today the guy at the Mac store told me two things I find possibley not true. The first thing was that iLife contains even MORE features than the versions you can "Upgrade" to for free via the most current software update.

The second thing he told me was that most of the time, the Pioneer drives (A04 and 05's.. which ARE the Super Drives) will NOT work w/ iDVD.

Has anyone found this to be true? Everyone I've talked to that installed a Pioneer 04 or 05 after the fact has had success.

I think he just wanted me to plunk down $2,000 on a new G4 vs a $280 DVD drive.

Anyone?

Jason

The only limitation I am aware of with iDVD is that the DVD burner must be mounted internally to work.

About the only thing that is somewhat true is that iLife does contain some features that are not available with the download. For instance, the iMovie tutorial which you can run as a tutorial or just practice with the footage. The tutorial DV files are like 350-400MB so of course it is not on the download. But I found it helpful to get started when I was running iMovie 2. Now with iLife, I've done enough practicing with my own DV with iMovie and iDVD that I don't need the tutorials anyway. k