Thread: WTB: iMac upgrades?

Hello,
    I recently bought a couple of iMacs, one Indigo G3/500 and a Blueberry G3/333 and would like to get some upgrades. These are for my kids and I just want to squeeze a little more out of them mainly the 333 but maybe I can throw a little at the 500. I haven't really had much time to read up yet but I'm thinking upgrade the 333 to 450, 500 or ?? and maybe pull the 20gb drive out of the 500 and install it in the 333 and then get a faster drive for the 500. Of coarse I could always use some more memory. My youngest daughter, Shelby (12) wants a green case for the 333 and who am I to argue I have a ton of old Mac stuff myself but have never owned a iMac so this should be interesting? I plan to use Panther on both of them.

Thanks for any thoughts or parts,

Ken

I don't know how much this can help you but, there could be some mutual benefit. I have a lime iMac, first generation of flavored, I think it is 233 MHz but I would have to check. It is just sitting on the shelf waiting for me to think of soome way to dispose of it, I was debating parting it out. If we could agree on a price, shipping being the most prohibitive factor - the darn thing it heavy and I no longer have the original box. Email me off list at bifcondor@comcast.net
    I also have some RAM sticks that fit, of particular interest is a recent pull from a iBook dual USB that is high density 256 MB and I can't use. I'll be glad to test it in the iMac first.
    living in a powder keg and giving off sparks

Just an FYI,

The tray loaders (333 and slower) are totally different than the slot loaders (350 and faster) internaly. About the only parts interchangable between the two are the hard drives and batteries. . .

Oh, and if you go OS X on your trayloader, you would be wise to replace the HD with a 7200 rpm model; just be sure to set the jumpers to Master, and you need to partition the drive so that the OS is installed on the first partition, which can only be a max of 8 Gigs.

No worries on the slot loader (no 8 Gig limit on the ATA bus), but newer drives are nice and fast in these guys too, and jumpers have to be set to Master as well.

Cracking the case on both is a bit of a mystery the first time, cause it is not obvious how they come apart. Easier than it looks, so don't worry too much, and don't hesitate to ask for help when you are ready to go.

Happy imac cracking.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

unclemac, have you got that backwards? the slot loader is the faster processor, isn't it? the tray loading CD drive was first generation, right?
    living in a powder keg and giving off sparks

Yes! Sorry, confusing enough with me being backwords....

I will edit so it is correct. Thanks bif.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Bif,
    I replied to your post at 10:30 am est to the email listed. Did you receive it?

Hummmmmm?????