Thread: What's this all about: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced?

Hi,
    Well it has been a long time since I posted here. Nice to see that it is still going on at mac Gurus!
    I figured maybe I could get some help here. I am running a Dual 2g G5 with Panther 10.3.2. I have been checking reports in the console and I get this over and over, all the time:

*** malloc[513]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x1ba6660; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug

What the heck is that all about? Something that I should be concerned about? Normal? Bad? I regularly get the SystemUIServer hanging hanging as well, is that related?

I am hoping to get some answers from the excellent people here, thanks in advance!

Greg W

Do you have CHUD installed, and if so, have you used it or any of the developer tool MallocDebug?

Chud...ummm, I don't think so. I know that when I installed Jaguar on my G4 I installed the Developer Tools package. But I don't think that I did on the G5. Possibly PAnther installed by default? But no, there is a separate disk for that. I did a search and I don't have it installed, apparently.
    Should I install it then? Is the system looking for it or something?