Thread: imac problem.

its me agin,350 imac,512 mem,panther,40 gig hd,firmware 4.1.9,panth installed over jaguar(inst n archiv).memory is DIMM0/J13 and DIMM1/J14-speed PC100-322S.ATY Rage128VR card 8 MB.resolution 1024x768@75 Hz 32 bit color,mirror off(?).the desktop pic gets dim gradually over a few days.it gets so noticeably dim that the picture is barely distinguishable.help again.thanks.it did this after panther install.is there such a thing as panther taking a while to get stabilized.i dont use os9 anymore maybe once a month.

posecap

i found out its my home outlets.lights go dim also.i had posted an earlier hint at this but had kinda wanted to see if it was a similar prob to someone out there.anyways i moved my mac to work and it will stay till my lines are checked for proper voltage.thanks.

posecap

Now that's a new one for me. Glad you figured it out, I'd have never thought of that.

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

pc,

Watch out for sags (brownouts). From all I have read, more damamge to hardware is done from low voltage conditions than from high voltage conditions (spikes).

If you have AC problems, you should seriously consider a surge protector with a battery backup - commonly called an Uninterupable Power Supply (UPS).

Most UPSs will warn and protect you from both voltage problems (over or under), as well ground problems.

Consider one that protects data lines as well, as lightning strikes can travel down phone/data lines and cook your network ports. Have seen this on three seperate imacs myself; lightning strike voltage traveled down a DSL line, through a router, and a local switch, and killed the ethernet ports of all connected machines!

Charlie Don't Surf!