Thread: panther n imac?

I have a smoke blue imac350 g3,40 gig, 512 mb ram,osx3.2,rage 128 8mb video.i leave at 1024x768 75 hz millions.its doing good for ol' timer.it used to freeze up in panther but that is ok now.there seemed to be something running in the background at times.there would be a staticy pause in itunes or whatever i was doing.when i change accts the cube effect wont happen like others.i have repaired permissions from cd first time ,when i do updates i repair from utilities,i update prebinding once.i have a problem with Mail app.all in all its behaving except for a few force quits and freeze ups.does this all sound normal for my mac?thanks a lot for the analysis.

posecap

Let me take it one by one if I can,

>> iMac G3/350 512MB RAM
    - okay, should work for email and internet.

>> Use to freeze.
    not good. poor RAM? you did an upgrade in place? archive/install?
    Did you enable or disable journaling?

>> 'Mail app.all'

Force quits and freezes in Mail? Force it to rebuild the mailboxes - and look for a damaged mailbox, message, etc. Yesterday, I was having trouble with Mail, and there were some messages that said "off-line, hasn't been download. Go online to retrieve." I found some

MessageUidsAlreadyDownloaded

And deleted all of those, let it download email left on POP server. I also deleted those error email messages, and oddly, the real messages were present later. But I can't say what was the cause or why, I'd never had trouble with Mail in over 3 yrs (and liking Thunderbird/Mozilla more lately).

Use Activity Monitor so you know what background task it might be. BigTop in CHUD 3.04 is nice, too.

Go easy on repairing permissions. 10.3.2 is pretty good and some things have NEW permissions but when you 'repair' you set them back to 10.3 rules from what I've read.

>> "...repair from utilities"

Enable journaling, it helps protect your system

Utilities - for help, what utility and which version? TechTool Pro 4.01? it has trouble iwth Beige G3, don't know how it fares on iMac of your era. The latest Disk Warrior 3.01? Norton 8.01 work fine, in fact I really think this could be the first reliable Norton I've seen since 3.5 days.

Where is your cloned backup system? Can you boot from FireWire?

- I assume that was finally included in 1999 iMacs. Are you running utilities from there? Except for Disk utility on Panther CD, I prefer to always be on a volume that has write access, which CDs lack, and Micromat warns about running TTP4 from CDs. I think the same can apply to Symantec/Norton and Alsoft/DW.

BAD RAM can cause any and all the trouble anyone has or needs. Panther is more sensitive - it uses RAM more heavily - to compress window memory, to cache system and drive data and catalogues.

note: even my system gets sluggish at times now, if OmniWeb 5 B1 is just sitting there in the background doing 'nothin'. p-p application.

[This message was edited by TZ on Wed February 04, 2004 PT at 8:13.]

ok,i'll cut down rpr permsns.i archived n installed.the mail app:we contacted isp and they gave us wrong server address.the power cord was changed to wall instead of powerbar.i was told never let low power run your computer.(got a slap on behind for that)."i got log messages:system ui server[276]error,unable to get extended status.also same error line,failed to load menu extra."

posecap

Most imac 350s don't have FirWire; there *may* be some DVs that do, but I would have to look to be sure.

As for the rolling cube effect when changing users in panther, your video card does no have enough go-go to draw it, so yes it is normal that you don't get to see that cool effect.

I don't use Mail, but there have been a couple others around here reporting problems with it in Panther, so you are not alone there. Have not seen an answer though....

It's kind late now, but there is a firmware update for most imacs that should be performed before installing OS 10. The firmware updater must be run from the hard drive, and from OS 9. If you are unsure if the firmware udgrade was installed, you can check Apple System Profiler: Under Hardware Overview, look for the Boot ROM Version. I believe it should be: 4.1.9f1

If you have an older version you *can* install OS 10 (which I think is terrible - Apple should have required the update, just like they did with previous OS updates), but erratic behavior is not uncommon with an older firmware version and OS 10.

As TZ says, memory should always be suspect with crashes on OS 10.

Charlie Don't Surf!

I like to see systems on a UPS, personally, as well as a line conditioner. $60 and up for APC w/o battery. And run your coax and dsl through a surge protector for sure. Modems in iMacs and ethernet ports are vulnerable.

Once you have RAM problems, hard drive corruption isn't far behind.

Selling a computer that can't be booted from a 2nd (non-optical drive) is criminal. DVDs aren't really an option as they aren't 'hard drive' writable. And no one should have even marketed the idea of USB as hard drive beyond zip 100 maybe.

how ever did the early iMac get to be so popular? they were an IT nightmare in design UNLESS you were booting from and backing up to a server and wanted one of those silly ideas of a "NetPC."

I dunno.

All I can say is remember they came out running 8.1, shortly moving to 8.6, and were consumer machines.

Back when everything was simple.

Ah, the good old days. Back when I was dumb and happy.

Charlie Don't Surf!

hey fellas thanks,lot of my queries answered.i have boot rom version 3.24f1.i remember updating firmware long ago.i updated video cards but still archaic ati rage 128,8 mb.no firewire on these 99 machines.its doin aok.im happy it does more good than bad.thanks a lot.

posecap

Seriously consider doing the firmware update. Here is the link. Notice that it helps the machine boot faster, and improves stability in OS X.

You may remember doing an update, but there have been at least two on that model. One to get OS 9.1 (I think or was it for 9.2?), which is probably the one you did, and this last one. At least I hope it is the last one....

I have seen with my own eyes, as well as read of other user's experience, imacs doing strange, unstable things in OS X. . . and then were stable and reliable after getting the correct firmware update.

It is a pain to do the update if you don't have an OS 9.2 system you can boot from, but I think it is worth it. At the very least, it removes a big variable when trying to troubleshoot any other problem.

Charlie Don't Surf!

thanks a lot,updated firmware to 4.1.9.startup was good,login was also smooth.i used to get a flash of color when i'd reboot or startup.when i'd shut down to move mac to work id get a funny color on desktop pic and it would take a while to shut down.not now,its behavin.how far can i update video cards or is it too expensive.i'm in canada.admin fella told me memory is good nuff(512).

posecap

Glad to hear it.

If you still see instability from the OS, you should still suspect/test the memory.

No video card update to an imac is possible, because the video integrated to the motherboard. Video upgrade = computer upgrade.

Charlie Don't Surf!