Thread: Panther...awful fuzzy fonts! what to do?

Hi,

Well, I took the bull by the horns and did an erase/install of panther yesterday. So far i like what I see... except for the awful fuzzy fonts! gad, these are worse than jaguar's, which were bad. What is it... doesn't apple know how awful the fuzziness is? maybe the person who designed the fonts for jaguar has an eye condition that's getting worse. When i put panther side by side with my pc, the pc is very clear and I don't have to squint to make out the letters.

Anyone know of anyway to make the fonts less fuzzy?

Laura

I'd try playing with the Font Smoothing settings in the Appearance Tab in the System Preferences..

Also might want to make sure that you are using the best resolution for your monitor. If I change from 75MHz refresh rate to 90MHz I usually also need to adjust the scren geometry.

Overall, and from the comment I posted in another thread earlier today, I think 10.3.1 has improved things considerably.

When it comes to web pages, while many like Safari, I still find OmniWeb 4.5 to be 'sharper' and cleaner text.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I have been working with the font smoothing but so far it hasn't helped much. I will also play around with the resolution/refresh rate. I agree about Omni having clearer/cleaner fonts than safari, and I'll be using it as much as possible.

One thing to try, use Verdana Regular for your web browsers. But I have to agree that OmniWeb still has the best.

A lot of web pages are "designed to look best in MSIE running Windows" which use different dpi. Of course OS X has spoiled me so that I can't stand using OS 9. But why is OmniGroup doing so well, and others not? (and where is OmniWeb 5?).

It takes programmers years normally to learn a new language and adjust to new OS -- and Apple keeps changing OS X, compilers, and while at first they tried to say Carbon was "just as good" or "good enough" to try to get developers to write OS X applications and utilities, the truth was, and the "official line" changed to "you have to use Cocoa." Now, you have 32/64-bit and new (and better) tools to use, but it still all takes time and practice.

And all for a "5%" marginal market. Not that that ever hurt Bentley or BMW or Jaguar (I grew up wanting an XKE).

quote:
    Also might want to make sure that you are using the best resolution for your monitor

That goes double for LCDs.... Most look terrible at all but the one (optimal) resolution.

Charlie Don't Surf!

I have two resolutions that work well on my crt...1280 x 1020 and 1600 by 1200--the fonts are clearer with the 1600 x 1200, but the darn print is so small. This brings up another, really newby question...can I change the size of the fonts on my desktop, etc. to make them larger? I can't seem to find any way to do that. In windows, I can easily change the display fonts to smaller, normal, large and extra large.

This is one of the reasons I'm shying away from apple mail and looking at entourage or eudora...mail has the same fuzzy fonts.

And, TZ you have a good point...seems like windows and apple are at opposite ends of the spectrum...apple keeps changing things so that we're forever having to choose between staying where we are so we can use software or moving ahead to a more interesting OS but not able to use it with anything---and windows just keeps slinging out the same old stuff for years on end, but at least gives software time to catch up.

Anyway, if there's a way to make my display fonts larger, maybe that will help.

Laura

Laura,

At this point, would help to know what monitor you have. I would have to say that 1280x1024 which is a normal and natural resolution for LCDs, is not one you want for CRTs. 1280 x 960 produces more normal aspect 4:3 ratio that should work better for text. And should look good on 19". For viewing pure graphics, and if you have a 22" (20" viewable) 1600 x 1200 might work. On my 19", much as I'd like to use that (and it is physically capable of such a resolution), it would take a lot of tweaking what my web browsers and programs use to get it large enough to not cause eye-strain.

TinkerTool and Silk are what I used in the past to change fonts used by the system. Otherwise, its hard - if not impossible.

If you have a 21" CRT I still think you want to try a different resolution than the two you mention...

I have a 19" viewsonic flat screen crt...what they call the graphics series. I recently updated the driver, and it goes all the way up to 1900 x something. I'll play around with the resolution, see if I can get near the 1280x960 and see how it feels. I suppose I could try apple mail...I think I can increase the font size...although, the last time I used apple mail I lost a bunch of important messages....don't know why...that was around 10.2.2

Laura

This was a duplicate post that I edited. I thought the first one hadn't gone thru, but I was just being impatient watching the spinning ball.

I sympathize with you, Laura. The first time I installed OS9 I thought Apple had made a huge error in design judgment - all the fonts looked blurry!

I am still running 9.1, so I really have no idea how to help you, but I was wondering if there was an option in Panther like in 9.1 where you can go to the Appearance CP and change the minimum font size for font smoothing onscreen. That is what I had to do - change it to a larger font (I have mine set to 14 pt). Nothing under this size is smoothed, so everything looks sharp (altho a bit jaggy if you look closely).

Hope you figure out the solution - I will be running Panther very shortly on my new G5, and Im a bit nervous now about what my new system will look like (I also have a 19" CRT monitor).

Keep us posted.

Rebecca

Hey! I have that same G90f connected to my Beige

Mail has gotten better (not as full-featured as Entourage).

Backups - make a disk image of your home library maybe, as well as to another drive etc.

Here's another option:

Between 1280 and 1600, you should see 1344 x 1008. Never saw it under Jaguar. This one preservers the CRTs 4:3 aspect ratio for proper rendering of fonts and text.

And, it also supports 75, 85, and 90 MHz refresh rates. While smaller than 1600 x 1200, is easy to use, doesn't require a huge change in fonts. (I simply upped OmniWeb 1 pt to look better.) And looks rather good.

1) Verify that the Finder is selected in the toolbar.

2) Click on "View" on the toolbar, and then click on "Show View Options".

3) When the "Show View Options" window opens, verify that the top of the window says "Desktop". If not, click on your desktop while the window is open. (If you click on an open window with the "View Options" window open, the "View Options" window title will change, and then you will be able to modify window view properties, not desktop view properties)

4) Enjoy, and say: "Ahh, that's better."

Hope this helps. Keep playing with this option while you have different windows open, and pay attention to the "This Window Only" vs."All Windows" option.... Other fun stuff here, such as having a background picture in open windows, etc.

Charlie Don't Surf!

Thanks for the suggestions...I did find the show view options and I'll work away at trying to make the various windows enlarge their fonts. If i have problems I'll check back with you.

TZ, I'm trying the 1344 X 1008...if I can increase the font size, etc. it should help. But I have to say I think I've been using the wrong setting for years...either the 1280 and the 1600 setting which I guess are more for widescreen monitors. I think my eyeballs have become widescreen, as the 1344 setting is taking some getting used to.

Maybe if I purchased a licensed copy of omni i can configure it to enlarge the fonts.

OmniWeb: command + , in Panther to bring up Preferences. You should see a "Font & Color" but if not... I am pretty sure that they wouldn't disable THAT!

OS X does add fonts from OS 9 system folder (if there) such as Palatino (which isn't in OS X).

When I found and using the new resolution, I have to change the VS's geometry and adjust the screen, Degauss, to get everything to look correctly.

OS X stores folder views in a hidden ".DS" file so sometimes to change all windows, you need a utility to "zap" all those files (safe to do btw). I actually forgot that Finder Views / Command + J could change font size! That should help.

1600 x 1200 is useful for graphics, that's one thing about CRT, you can change on the fly. SwitchRez can let you set resolution "per application" I think (OS 9 could). but to really use that size/resolution you need a 20" viewable. I found the VS G220f $499 at MacZone - almost as good as their best P225f. Both are 20" viewable. And the high bandwidth (250MHz) also helps "feed" all the data to the screen and OS X.

I have headaches and hard time adjusting when I get new corrected lenses for me - and I want to go back to the old/wrong glasses.

When in OmniWeb, in "Fonts & Colors" preference, be sure to set the minimum font size to something like 12 pt.

The MacGurus forums look BEST in OmniWeb. trust me on this.

Boy, you're right....setting the fonts in omni at a minimum of 12/14 points really makes a difference! They'll let me do that without purchasing a licensed copy, but they won't let me change the way the omniweb main page looks.

Laura

Yes that helps! (should o figured) Thanks TZ, -Randy