Thread: Invalid BSD file type

Any reasons to what is causing this (and how to fix). My 9.2.2 partition apps are encountering errors. DW 2.1 and NU 6 can not find anything wrong. Boot into X.3, Disk utilities reports Invalid BSD file type on the 9 partition (80 gb maxtor. 2 partitons X and 9.2.2) Any thoughts Gurus?

Thanks as always!

usually Disk Utility 10.2.8 would fix those when booted in Jaguar and inspecting another partition or with fsck on startup after repeated use.

If you continue to have these show up... do you use Classic AND boot into 9.2, do you have trouble restarting, shutting down, or using a hard forced restart? ARe you using something like XPF (which does seem to cause this for me when I used it a couple times, and I shouldn't be using it, my Beige switches and boots OS X without trouble).

If Disk Warrior doesn't, and Apple First Aid - and I use Norton only in a "jam" - is the system stable? If not, I'd clone it to another drive or fresh install. Horrible thought but. Also, if you don't have one now, put OS X on another drive anyway to be able to use for emergencies and to run repairs. That way, you have a backup in case you update 910.2.8 etc) and want to go back - easily - to the prior version.

TX,

Thanks! Actually I do boot between 9.2.2 and X.3 (when Quark 5.01 get unstable-ATI radeon issue) X.3 runs a bit smoother. The 9.2.2 and X.3 are the same drive but on two separate partitions. I guess that it is still getting corrupted. Any pros/cons of newer Norton or DW?

Backup comes #1, then Disk Warrior, then Drive 10 (and free upgrade to TechTool Pro 4 later this month). Disk Warrior does things properly, does things norton doesn't, and it wasn't 100% safe or reliable to use Norton on its own. It does work okay if you run DW first.