Thread: Constant browser crashes

I've developed a problem in the last two weeks with web browsers. Usually Safari works fine and doesn't crash very often at all*. Recently though, it will crash about every 10-15 minutes, or 6-8 pages, whichever is first), and sometimes after only loading one page(usually more complex ones cause this). I tried installing Mozilla and Firebird both, but they're even worse, sometimes not even loading one page fully, or crashing when I resize the window a little. IE seems to be more immune, though it has some random crashes too(of course, it's always had that problem to begin with).

I've tried deleting and reinstalling Safari a few times, reset it twice, etc. but nothing helps. So my guess is that something is messed up in the system software. The last month has seemed to get kernel panics every 1-2 days, as well, whereas it used to be only once a week. Any ideas on what might be the problem(s) with the browsers might be? Or at least tips on making the system more stable?

*Little note: I have *never* found a browser that holds up more than half a day when I'm researching something. It tends to mean loading 150+ pages per hour, opening and closing windows quite often, and having 4 or 5 open at any given time. Even my normal browsing has 2-3 windows and around 30-40 pages in an hour, so I do put a good bit of stress on these poor web browsers.

Corrupt drive, and/or files. Read MacIntouch on the subject of Safari. Recommends deleting internet pref file(s).

FSCK and booting from your emergency OS X volume should be standard.

I do NOT have trouble having 4 web browsers running at once; and I've had 60+ pages open in any one (Mozilla, IE, Safari, OmniWeb).

You do need adequate RAM and free disk space. You may need to 'control' Mozilla and start clean - a real bear the way its "Profile" can end up scattering links if you are like me and clone and backup a lot and then restore. It uses the wrong path (hard coded no less).

If you have broadband (probably), disable the disk caches.

768MB RAM should work. If you monitor vm and memory, you can end up with all but 10MB in use, and more disk space than is reported. Good to have 4GB free for your system volume.

Clone or do a fresh install to a drive you've initialized. Clone the install so you have a pristine system you can clone again and go back to if needed (burn it to CD/DVD and make a Disk Copy image too).

I would suspect "bad" RAM first. Again, MacIntouch report; check the Memory forum and the "FAQ" which is just a bunch of tips, links, news, updates, that get thrown in.

I just spent three days. Power outage. Lost one drive. Maybe three. Also seemed to have damaged my ACard. Still rebuilding/recovering. Wish I'd had UPS. Even power fluxuations have been bad today, which a line conditioner would smooth out.

Wow, sorry to here about your power problems TZ. Hope nobody gives you the "you should have known better..." routine about UPSes. Sure don't need salt on the wounds at this point.

Sending positive brainwaves...

Charlie Don't Surf!

Thanks for the tips TZ. I'll take a look at MacinTouch. Corrupted files sounds about right. Once I fix that, I'll see about messing around with Mozilla stuff.

Lack of RAM or disk space isn't a problem, have a full 1GB RAM and two 32GB drives(one is the old OS 9 volume, other is my main one with OS X. I'm actually running all this on a PowerTower Pro, with a 500MHz XLR8 G3.

Anyway, I'll report back with what happens.

Some more ideas:

Firewall.
    Disable java and javascript unless needed.
    Avoid plug-ins like Flash/Shockwave etc.
    Some web sites have had their servers infected and have CGI code that can kill a browser, even on a MAC.

-------------------

On my disaster, one drive 'went south' while doing some beta testing. I don't think it liked the OEM drive.

The ACard got hit somehow which caused the drives attached to act weird.

One of my external dual drive cases went, the drives seem... one is okay and the 2nd is still being tested.

My OS X Jag CD is scratched from all the reinstalls I've been doing all week.

My Beige test machine is happier with SCSI LVD ATTO PSCd than it ever was with IDE drives and cards (though S-ATA was okay).

I just can't help but wonder what using an upgrade might have to do with all this? What I mean is that if you were running OSX and your browser on a true Apple G4 or G3 motherboard and not a clone with an XLR8 upgrade card, would you still suffer the crashes?

Enable Console to show when there is a kern_protect failure or any crashes etc. The log can be helpful.

A G4 upgrade would stress the RAM even more, but I still think one of your RAM modules is likely not 60 ns. Maybe de-interleave?

As I said, even in OS 9, one way I try to test my system is to open 60-100 web pages, max out RAM so everything is being stressed fully.

OS X does not report how much actual free space is being used, so don't rely on that.

Sometimes, I can get ahead of my Beige and it has trouble keeping up. A G3/900 or G4/1000 would help there.

Ran FSCK till everything was fixed, which helped some. Then double-checked the System Info. Looks like one of the switches on the upgrade card must have been hit when I was last fiddling with the thing. It was running at 520MHz, dropped it back to 500 and now everything runs perfect. Thanks everyone for the tips and help!

I have a problem with IExplorer and with Entourage, both of which now crash - I can't run explorer at all on OSX; recently upgraded to the latest before Panther...Tony A.

you said there were problems that fsck fixed. No utility is perfect. But I would clear out all of the system cache, library cache, and user caches. you do have a backup of your system? I would also clone the system to another drive.

Try Safari, Mozilla, I try to keep M$ off my computer. haven't needed to use IE 5.2.3 at all in over a year. If you know IE etc, then you know what to replace, what can get corrupt, its had problems for as long as its existed.

Once you clone your system, run First Aid, Disk Warrior, etc on the clone, too. And repair permissions of course. Or do a clean install and upgrade which might be faster way to stable system, assuming cpu and RAM are now A-Ok.