Thread: Beige G3 OS X install in another drive

The weirdest thing ever. OS X 10.2 working in Beige G3 [PowerLogix G4 533 ZIF, 40GB WD HD].

I disconnected the WD HD, connected a 40GB Seagate HD to install Jaguar. It all went perfect but the G3 didn't want to boot from there. I followed the same things I have done to install Jag in the WD HD which is working. Tried connecting the HD using the Zip connection but nothing. The &^%$#@! Jag doesn't boot from there. How the hell can this be? The Seagate is almost new. What can possibly be wrong? It's the same machine!

Make sure the drive is jumpered properly. I don't think the zip drive has an 80-pin IDE cable, but I don't have a zip drive in mine.

You don't mention what you initialized the drive with, so assuming it was Disk Utility and the destination volume is 7.5GB and is the first volume, a lot of room in the "did the same things." How far did you not get?

Reset OF and/or zap PRAM. If you do reset, the first OF command for beige should be: init-nvram

Initialized with Drive Setup, reset PRAM 3 times, tested booting with the single disk as single and master. Somebody had told me about making a cable selction but I don't know how this is done. I haven't tested OF though.

Cable Select only works with MDD, and maybe some QS 2002, but definitely not with Beige.

Your WD should have had a diagram on the jumpers, I don't have any Seagate ATA drives, but if it has Master-only, use that, then, Master.

If you have slave support (Rev B, C) maybe you should try both drives together and see. I use ACArd and one drive on each channel in my Beige.

Don't listen to people that don't know, but to do that, you have to know all the tidbits, oddities and quarks. Bosons are one of the four forces of nature, aren't they?

Absolutely. Cable Select *will not* work with X. Happen to have a 80 Gig Seagate (ST380021A) in front of me, and on this model:
    • no jumper = slave
    • jumper right end = master
    • jumper second from right = cable select[/list]

There are a couple other options, but these three are the most common.

Keeep in mind: your drive may be different! If is more than a year or two old you may have to check at seagate's web site for correct jumper placement.

Charlie Don't Surf!

It's a mystery to me, we tested the master/slave options, checked and re-checked the jumper settings and had no luck. I was very sure this was going to work and looked like piece of cake... the drive was used in another beige G3 which was full of drives all connected to an IDE card. At first I thought the PCI card could be the one to blame.