Thread: Books dealing with OS X

I just received Mac OS X Power Tools by Dan Frakes.

Practical stuff. Not too heavy. And not too light or basic either. But stuff you want or need. Doing installs from the terminal and remote. CUPS. Sharing files and networking. VNC. Brickhouse and 3rd party firewall programs. (We know how difficult that topic turned out to be!)

Unlike some (Mac OS X in a Nutshell) it is aimed at regular users that find a need to do something but doesn't require or make you feel your in Unix territory and done from the command line or terminal - though there are some.

Half the length of "Mac OS X Unleashed" its a good companion that probably would fit in after "Mac OS X: The Missing Manual."

There's even a section on Disk Drive maintenance, cleaning out caches, virus protection, all the topics we've kicked around from time to time.

We'll worth the $27 and easy to read.

[This message was edited by Gregory on Sun May 18, 2003 PT at 8:25.]

Sounds perfect for my needs. Thanks.

Yeah, I picked up Mac OSX In A Nutshell a day or two ago. But then, who wants books with pictures?

If its not too late, can i throw in another great book? David pogue's "OsX The Missing Manual"

We had another thread with book recommendations, maybe even two such threads, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

Missing Manual seems like the best or first book for people to turn to.

the only thing I didn't like about The Missing Manual is... I was trying to learn about WireLess netowrking, and The Missing Manual would list the options on the screen, but that's it.
    I was like saying, yes they exist.
    Whoopi Ding, I know they exist, What Do They Do?!

And The Idiots Guide to OS X is BAD. in my humble opion.
    Like I loooked up Wireless, it said to look under AirPort. I looked under AirPort, it said to look under Wireless. PLUS, it only listed ONE PAGE for the topic, in both places. <the same page>

Charles Moore takes a look at "Mac OS X Hints" and comes away impressed.

There are numerous books to fill nitch areas. Networking, security, firewalls, servers, etc.

Some good choice tombs:

Mac OS X Power Tools
    Mac OS X Unleashed
    Mac OS X In A Nutshell

And don't forget some of the basic Unix texts like "UNIX System Administrator's Bible" or UNIX Hints & Hacks which can help provide some useful information and tips that carry over.

All can be found and ordered thru O'Reilly, Amazon, or your favorite Mac bookstores.

By the time a book is written, the OS has changed once again and Panther will mean that they all will need revisions and be slightly out of date (again).

[This message was edited by Gregory on Fri June 20, 2003 PT at 8:48.]

I check this site now and again for some of their more obscure info, which is helpful and intersting. Today I noticed that they have changed the structure of the site.

Now there are lots of links on one page, including many books; nicely organized too! Check it out: macosxlabs.org

Charlie Don't Surf!

Don't forget "Mac OS X Disaster Relief" by Ted Landau + Dan Frakes. I found it yo be a great starter for solving problems.