Thread: Can I edit/delete the "original" User made by Setup Assistant?

Guess the topic says it all. Still struggling with the issue in my other thread ("Best way to transfer....") I think I could get around it by re-creating the user files, then removing the one that has the descrepancy in folder names (see other topic.)

Sorry if I'm bending forum rules by posting twice (sort of.) My other thread seems dead, and I never got an answer I could use.

T

Update

This method did not work. Same problem I originally had - users are somehow corrupted/lost.

Thanks for the pointer to CCC - I'm already using it with generally good success. It (by itself) can't seem to get around this particular problem however. I tried Mike's tips and still no joy.

I have had an alternate suggestion (offline,) and will be trying it tonight. Stay tuned for further updates....

T

[This message was edited by TeeH on Tue July 22, 2003 PT at 15:27.]

You can delete any user - not too involved, but kinda hidden. I can help with that, but there are folks around here much more savy with the greasy Unix chasis of Jag than me.

Modifying (changing short name, etc.) is one I need to figure out as well; preferably without a trip to the Terminal... no idea how (yet!).

Charlie Don't Surf!

Moving files and system is easy to do using Carbon Copy Cloner. Tips on www.bombich.com. You can move /Users to another drive the same way. You can also use an OS X aware backup program.

Its been kicked around quite often on the forums and most sites.

Search, ask, try one of the books on using OS X.

I usually do this by enabling the root account. I log in as root, and then use the Accounts pref pane to delete the "admin" user. Then, simply recreate from there.

Final Update

The eventual solution turned out to be:
    1) CCC from original machine to new machine in target disk mode (via FW)
    2) Restart new machine from "factory" OS X CD, re-install system with "archive & install, preserve..." settings options.
    3) Run software update to get OS X & other Apple apps current.
    4) Frequent repair of permissions throughout it all.

System is stable for several hours, and I will run it 24/7 for several days before passing final judgement. I have had to re-install a few other apps that seemed to have lost track of supporting files of various sorts, but most stuff works fine, and no lost settings, e-mail, etc.

Bottom line - a bit more complicated than originally expected, but it coulda been a LOT worse.....

T