Thread: Best dvd-ram writer ?

Hi,

I am looking for a dvd burner for my mac. It's a 400mhz G4, that I recently upraded to OSX 10.2.3.

For some reason my old Yamaha CRW4416sx is not happy with the new system and is only succesful in Classic mode.

I have recently tried an LG GMA-4020B, which while it worked well with Toast Titanium, was not recognized by iPhoto. Granted, LG did not say that it was compatable with mac.

I have seen an external LaCie Multi-drive that is supposedly OSX compatable, but it is more expensive.

Are there any other good dvd-ram burners out there?

thanks

I'd begin with researching over on www.xlr8yourmac.com where you'll find a searchable database, how to get 3rd party drives to show as supported, or which work best.

- G.

If the Yamaha is scsi it should work. i have a Yamaha 8424sx and it needed Elgoto's scsihelper before OS10.1.4 but has worked like a champ from finder and iTunes since 10.1.4.
    Like Gregory said check out the xlr8 site.
    almaink

When I aquired my B/W, I got a Toshiba DVD/CDRW, model SD-R1002 with it. After getting OS X installed I discovered to my dismay that this drive wasn't officially supported. A little researce showed that the next revision of the drive (SD-R1012) was supported though. Since I had nothing to loose, I started diving into the driver files in the Library folder of my system and found the reference to R1012 in the Yamaha driver. I changed this to R1002, saved it and restarted with my fingers crossed.

It works like a charm! Everything that is supposed to work does. (Watching "6th Sense" again at the moment...) Now if I could only get my old Video Capture card to work!

Tony

I Refuse To Have A Battle Of Wits With An Unarmed Person!