Thread: powerlook II and os 10.2.3

i have a powerlook II and to date neither silverfast or vuescan see the scanner, i have it hooked up through the usb port. should i be trying something else? it all works fine in os 9.2.2

Hey Fefe,

What are you using to scan in OS 9.x? Is it software that came with the UMax or is it the Classic version of vueScan?

More importantly, how are you plugging this into your computer via the USB port? Isn't the Powerlook II a SCSI scanner? (http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=umpl11m)

According to Hamrick software: http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported
    the Powerlook II should be supported if plugged into a SCSI port - but these things go all to hell when you start using converters, and this could be the source of your trouble.

hey strayduck

i am using magic scan in os 9.x it is software that came with the scanner which will not run in classic at all. have not tried the classic version of vuescan (didn't know there was one - will try it)

i am plugging the scanner into my computer via the usb port using a scsi to usb converter - which works fine in os 9.x (complete restart from osx) but not in osx

perhaps i should try a scsi to firewire? you can get a cable that does this?

anyway, thanks for the time and i will explore further

Instead of a converter just get a scsi card and plug it into that. Here is a link to the card I use http://eshop.macsales.com/Item_Speci...tem=APL6612173
    much cheeper than a converter and it will work with Vuescan at least it does for me with my PLII.
    almaink

hi almaink

thanks for that. i will check the link to see if i can put a scsi card in the g4 laptop. if this solves the problem my life will be much improved. (sad but true)

fefe

I didn't know you were useing a laptop.
    I would think you may have built in scsi .
    almaink

no built in scsi. i will look at a PCMCIA card i think? - my project for the weekend
    thanks
    fefe

I'd write Hamrick a letter (writer of VueScan). He get's back to users pretty quick. See if his software will support this:
    http://www.synchrotech.com/products/scsi.html

...before you drop the money on it.

I did a search on the UMax website for an OS X version of their own software and it returned: "The selected product is incompatible with the selected operating system. Please select a different operating system."

It goes on to say: "Certain software IS NOT available for download. In this case, a CD-ROM may be purchased."

Historically Umax's customer service is almost completely non existant, so I'm not sure what kind of luck you'll have getting them to send a CD. What I ended up doing was switching to Epson. They are friendly people if you need to talk to them, which is rare because their products are quick and reliable.

Cheers.

fefe,
    If you are on a G4 'book I think you will have to forget about using that scanner with OSX. Te converter thing is unlikely to ever work. I am with Strayduck, go with an Epson. I have the Photo 2450. Works like a charm in Jag with the Photoshop Twain driver. Epson has a decent "Smart Panel" software that is a standalone that I cannot get to work with Classic however. Which is too bad because it includes OCR which I could use. But everything else works. The scanner is also supported by Image Capture, which is pretty neat. The scanner has USB and Firewire hookups as well.

greg-w,

I am looking to replace my old SCSI scanner. And I want Photoshop Twain back so I would consider your recommendation. Your Epson Photo 2450 "Smart Panel" software, it does not work in Classic, but does it work when booted in OS9? And what is Image Capture? Is there a mini-app for copying scanned docs from the scanner directly to a printer? k

Kaye, Image Capture (/Applications/Image Capture) is Jag's built-in scanning software and digital photo import tool. Support for various devices is somewhat spotty though, at present. Certain Epson scanners for instance, that have OSX drivers are compatible, while others are not. There are links in Image Capture Help pointing to lists of what's supported, what is not-

alimank, greg_w, strayduck and to all
    have been offline as the power cable to the laptop blew - replacement took time
    thanks for all the recommendations. you are right about the pcmcia card - no go. it looks like the epsom scanner is next on the 'wish' list. it definitely sounds like the best option and as i see from you all comes well recommended
    thanks for the time

fefe

Understand, Boots. Thanks. k