Thread: CLASSIC 9 MISSING.

Hi,

My new G4 comes with 2 OS X discs but NO OS 9 discs. Yes it has classic pre-installed, but what if I want to do a clean reinstall. How do I re-install OS 9 ?

Did I just get ripped off? Or is this standard now to come WITHOUT OS 9, even though most of my apps are OS 9. The box was factory sealed from Frys.

Is it a current model, or a close-out older model? Is it possible they put it somewhere else, like on the restore discs? Apple is trying to discourage folks from using 9, so I wonder if they are now hiding it somewhere...

I have two new G4s at work, but did not notice if they came with 9 as they are running 10 only, I am curious now. Will check on Monday to see if/where 9 is hiding.

To install Classic you will have to use the restore CDs. The restore CDs are also not bootable. You will have to restore 9 on a volume that already has X.

Its the lower end newer model dual 867 cdrw.

It was my understanding that to install os 9 you have to be booted on an os 9 system software, hence the os 9 disk question. It sounds like a catch-22 if you have to install os 9 through the restore disks but the restore disks are not bootable. I might be speaking too soon and I'll check this out however, don't wanna question macguru moderators.

There is a long reader report on MacIntouch and MacFixit on this and how to do it.
    MacInTouch Reader Report along with MacFixit Special Report - registration req'd.

If you have another drive, be sure to copy your OS 9.2.2+ system folder, also make a disk copy image, burn the folder to CD, so you have a copy. The Classic system is hidden on the CDs but accessible.

Gregory

what is this command-~ ? I know what command is, but Is this that the tilda on the upper left? I'm lost at #2.
    -----
    Subject: Making a bootable Mac OS 9.2.2 Restore CD for "Windtunnel" G4s

Just wanted to share my experiences making my own Mac OS 9.2.2 Apple Restore CD for my new "WindTunnel" G4/867x2.

It only took about two hours to make, but I found it to be a simple process. It requires Toast Titanium as well as some experience using Apple's System Restore SDK and Disk Copy. Now I have a bootable CD-R that can install Mac OS 9.2.2 "only" to pure factory default. I tested it on both my ATA-100 and ATA-66 drives, and they both boot and work fine.

Here goes:

1) While booted in Mac OS X, insert the G4 Restore Disk 1 included with the new "Windtunnel" G4s.

2) Use the Finder's "Go to Folder..." command (command-~) to open the invisible ".images" folder.

3) You will find a Disk Copy X disk image file named "OS 9 Content.dmg." Mount it using Mac OS X Disk Copy.

4) Open Toast Titanium and use it to convert the mounted "OS 9 Content" volume to a .toast disk image. I simply chose "Mac Volume" as the format, chose the mounted "OS 9 Content" volume, and then "Save as Disc Image..." to save the volume as "OS 9 Content.toast"

5) Boot into Mac OS 9.x.

6) Have the Apple Software Restore SDK installed and ready for use.

7) Mount the "OS 9 Content.toast" disk image in Toast Titanium.

8) Use Disk Copy 6.3.3 to "Create Image from Disk..." and choose the mounted volume. Save it as "OS 9 Content.img"

9) With the ASR scripts installed, you should have a "Scan Image for ASR" item available in Disk Copy's "Scripts" menu. Use it to process the "OS 9 Content.img" file.

10) Use Toast Titanium to "Create Temporary Partition..." and place the necessary ASR file hierarchy there. The Apple Software Restore file should be there, it's default "Restore ASR Prefs" preference file, as well as a "Configurations" folder containing the processed "OS 9 Content.img" file. I actually found a more updated copy of the Apple Software Restore files (version 2.0.6) from a recent iMac ASR CD. I would think the older version should work just as well.

11) Add a Mac OS 9.2.2 System Folder to the temporary partition. This is probably the most complicated part. Basically, I used my Mac OS 9.2.1 Software Install CD that came with my Mac OS X 10.1. Just about any bootable Mac OS 9.2 System Folder will do I suspect.

12) The older Mac OS 9 System Folder won't boot the new Macs, but if you carefully locate all the files that have been updated (from the "OS 9 Content" volume's System Folder), you can make it work. I've found, the most important files to replace are:

:System Folder:System (version 9.2.2)
    :System Folder:System Resources (version 9.2.2)
    :System Folder:Finder (version 9.2)
    :System Folder:Mac OS ROM (version 9.5.1)
    :System Folder:Control Panels:Startup Disk (version 9.2.5)
    :System Folder:Extensions:Multiprocessing:Apple CPU Plugins (version 3.9)

If you can find a 9.2.x System Folder from an Apple boot CD, you should have a pretty good starting point. There were maybe a dozen other files that needed to be updated, but I don't think they were as important (Firewire drivers, Open Transport extensions, Audio extensions, etc.) Don't add/update any files that aren't already there. My System Folder came to 973 files (67 MB) yours should be similar.

13) Once you've updated the System Folder, make sure it's "blessed."

14) Then, in Toast, choose "Mac Volume" again, select the temporary partition. Also be sure the "Bootable" option is checked.

15) Burn the CD. You're done, now you've made your own "Windtunnel" G4 Apple System Restore CD for Mac OS 9.2.2.

16) Boot up your "Windtunnel" G4 and use Apple System Restore to select a volume/partition and restore 9.2.2.

This is as detailed as I can get, if you are experienced with ASR and building bootable System Folders this should be relatively easy. If not, you might want to just skip every step past 8. Once you have the "OS 9 Content.img" made, you can pretty much turn it into a drag & drop installer. You'll probably break all the aliases though without using ASR.

i'm sorry, nevermind, I just used the a search for ".images" looking at "visibility" OFF, and found it.