Thread: Hard Drive Install & Setup

Lightbulb

Please take a look at Upgrading G4 first as it should answer or give you some ideas of what you can do.

Serial ATA drives of 250GB each. Yes.
    Replace the 40GB for 120GB. Yes.
    Upgrade G4/500DP to 1.3DP. Yes.
    If you have four RAM slots, I think you can use 2GB RAM in OS X.

Cost: $1000?

There is a "good strong" market for used G4s still.
    So you might want to sell and go that route.

Cost of G5 1.8DP $1800-2000 + 2GB RAM? (Apple Store Specials)

Is to add 1.5GB RAM to the stock configuration.
    Add another hard drive.
    Add Serial ATA controller and at least one 10K Raptor 74GB (or high performance 60MB/sec+ drive).
    Add USB2 controller for scanners etc.
    Have at least one FireWire drive for storage of video projects and backup.
    Add one every year probably. Have one "spare" drive at the ready.
    Check out the "Books on ěS X."

Move /Users to another drive, or use a symbolic link for your media files to another partition, or another drive, to keep the boot volume from getting fragmented, crowded, and having swap and cache files scattered throughout the drive. (The outer tracks are usually 2x faster than inner, and performance degrades quickly as drive gets to 65% and beyond).

Having a 3rd drive would help.
    Boot from 10K Raptor
    Leave your data files on the new 160GB drive.
    Use your current 80GB drive for backup
    Add an external SATA or FireWire for backups.
    Add Pioneer SuperDrive for burning DVDs if you can't currently.

1. Have a backup of OS/Applications one generation old.
    2. Have a backup of current OS/Apps/Users
    3. Make a scratch partition for video work.
    4. Have 2 backups of media files, one on the
    computer and another somewhere else.
    5. Use a backup application to automate a daily
    backup process.
    Ultimate System Drives
    Last edited by TZ; 11-09-2005 at 09:30 AM.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Lightbulb Thanks -

Quote Originally Posted by Allison
    Hi, I am running panther. I'm not sure what the best thing is to do with the new drive. The existing one is 80Gb and this is 160Gb so maybe the data should go on the new one?
    Lets do something called "repair permissions" to the HD that just crashed with Safari. ok so now.. open the Disk Utility application (located applications/Utilities/Disk Utility) then select the "first aid" tab and on the left highlight the volume/hard drive name that has Safari on it.
    Click "repair permissions" it can take several minutes.

I would want to first Verify and Repair the drive before writing any new data to the drive.

Disk Warrior and TechTool Pro are excellent tools to have handy to repair a drive. But you will want or need BootCD or a backup of your system on another drive which can be created using Disk Utility Restore . Another option, until you know what files and where they are, is to use some maintenance tools like Panther Cache Cleaner or Cocktail - all of which are discussed in the OS X Maintenance Utilities FAQ.

A good 12 Step Guide to Improving Performance
    Last edited by rwm; 02-28-2006 at 07:23 PM. Reason: fix quote

Lightbulb Installing WD SATA drives

Installing WD SATA drives

No company is more confusing with jumpers than WD, I think. So while SATA doesn't have master or slave, WD has a jumper block on their SATA drives, including the Raptor.
    WD SATA Support

1 How to use Data Lifeguard Tools 11 to install, partition, and format EIDE hard drives larger than 137GB (128GB binary) in Windows 98SE/ME. 1085
    2 How to physically install a Serial ATA drive in a computer system. 981
    3 How to copy or backup one partition to another using Data Lifeguard Tools 11. 1151
    4 How to enable and disable SSC (spread spectrum clocking) on WD Serial ATA hard drives. 1271
    5 How to enable and disable PM2 (power management) on WD Serial ATA hard drives. 958
    6 How to partition and format your hard drive (from unused space) for use in Windows XP or Server 2003. 330
    7 How to configure a Serial ATA drive as a boot device.
    --------------
    How to physically install a Serial ATA drive in a computer system.

Set the jumpers:

The drive has a jumper block located next to the ATA power connector (see image below). There is generally no need to change the default jumper setting in order to use the drive. The only use of this jumper block is to enable or disable power management for the drive. The drives ship in the default position with the shunt on pins 1-2 (disabled). Alternately, the jumper can be removed completely with the same result. Placing the shunt on pins 3-4 (enabled), designates that the drive will power-up in standby mode. For most users the default position should be used. Jumper Settings

How to enable and disable SSC (spread spectrum clocking) on WD Serial ATA hard drives.

There are two different default jumper settings for WD Serial ATA hard drives, and therefore, two different ways to enable SSC (spread spectrum clocking) for the drive.

If your WD Serial ATA hard drive came with a jumper shunt on pins 1 and 2, take the jumper shunt off the drive to enable spread spectrum clocking.

Spread Spectrum Clocking off: (Default 1)
    Spread Spectrum Clocking on:

However, if your Western Digital Serial ATA hard drive came with no jumper shunt placed on the drive, place a jumper shunt on pins 1 and 2 to enable spread spectrum clocking. Spread Spectrum Clocking
    How to enable and disable PM2 (power management) on WD Serial ATA hard drives.

Serial ATA hard drives do not have a jumper block to designate whether the drive is master, slave, single, or cable select, as EIDE hard drives do. There is only one Serial ATA drive per channel (cable), so no master/slave relationship exists.

Note: Power management allows the drive to be powered-up into the Standby power management state to minimize inrush current at power-up and to allow the host to sequence the spin-up of devices.

All Western Digital Serial ATA hard drives come with PM2 (power management) disabled. This setting should be used for desktop/workstation computers. If you are using the drive in a RAID/enterprise environment, and wish to enable power management on the drive (controlled spinup via spinup command per ATA standard), place a jumper shunt on pins 3 and 4.

Note: Pins 5-8 are for factory use only and should not be used by end-users.
    Power management

Lightbulb

New Hard Drive (this thread) as a good starting point. Got into a lot of how to move /Users to the new drive, or use the system on a dedicated drive.

I thought you wanted 120GB at least (largest the native IDE bus would take) or larger size drive if possible. Your system was in dire straights though and getting 2-3 drives would be better than just one. Backup and spread the work load.

It probably isn't a problem as much using SeriTek card which is better than Apple's own SATA chipset.

"... of the 74GB available on the stock drive I still have 54Gb available.
    Nothing of the 149GB that shows for the new drive.
    I can burn DVDs so assume I have the superdrive?
    What is Raptor or Serial ATA controller?"

The G5 uses Serial ATA drives. Which is where disk drive technology is headed.
    The only way to use one though in an MDD is with the FirmTek card SeriTek/1S2

The Raptor is one of the fastest drives available.
    See SR review
    Benchmarking Raptor and 10K/15K SCSI
    It costs extra ($100 premium) but ideal for startup boot system drive or scratch disk
    Just try prying it out of the hands of someone who has used one.

Storage Technology FAQ

Lightbulb

Research before buying and upgrading is always hard to guess what questions to ask or where problems can be found, rather than after the fact.

Sonnet has posted firmware updates for their SATA controllers, Seagate drives, which addresses issues with SSC and Seagate firmware. so.... "some" 7200.9 500GB drives work with latest firmware OR 7200.10 OR when used with Sonnet's latest firmware patch.

Some drives need to be jumpered.

Yes, even SATA has jumpers now, to disable SATA 3Gbps and run in 1.5Gbps mode, SSC on some, and power management features like delayed and staggered spin-up... beginning to sound more like SCSI it was intended to replace.

The need to qualify every drive with a given OS, controller, firmware, and drivers.

Check to see that you have the latest firmware, update the OS in some cases, and see if there is any information. Most vendors do have an FAQ or Knowledge Base articles.

One of the most reliable and problem free are Hitachi T7K250, 7K500 and 7K400.

The WD 500GB is quiet, needed fimrware update for RAID, and looks to be fast and promising, though I'd like to see more test results first on compatibility.

Maxtor's DM10 and DM11 have been good, fast desktop drives and for use in RAIDs, though you might want to pay extra for enterprise 5-yr warranty with MaxLine series.

Only the SeriTek cards (or the 2-ch Sonnet, which is basically FirmTek's I think) will boot the WD 150GB Raptor in PCI-X system.

I didn't realize SeriTek expects there to be a problem with the Barracuda 7200.10 though.

I've also read that you must be running 10.4.6+ to use the 750GB model. Take a minute and update your forum User Profile with hardware and OS information so it is handy.

Lightbulb Iostat

got through 7-pass zeroing of all my drives (did one a couple of times as the results seemed odd)

copied 200Gb of files to one of the drives -- noticably faster to copy.

I will next attempt to setup the internal drives and will report any discrepencies.

NOTE: I urge all of you to run iostat from the terminal while you are zeroing. Use something like this: iostat -w 10 disk0

which will run io stats ad infinitum every 10 seconds for disk0 (you can identify the internal disk# by using Disk Utility and highlighting the disk and then clicking "info")

Done in this way, even 12 hours of generating I/O stats aganst the 7-pass zeroing is not un-reasonable to study (and learn a lot from your drive)

I will be curious if other users out there experience the abrupt loss of throughput approx 20% into the zeroing. NOTE: It happened on all four of my external drives.

Lightbulb Hard drive failures

Its a study by some Google employees on the failure rates of disk drives deployed within their infrastructure.
    pdf paper - Failure Trends In A Large Disk Drive Population
    Examining the population of hard drives under deployment within Google

In general, there are around four ways a HDD will fail.

Firmware zone corruption, electronic failure, mechanical failure, and logical corruption.

Unfortunately, S.M.A.R.T only handles a subset of the "mechanical failure" category (mainly media failure and thermal failure), and does not protect against single instance/incident catastrophic mechanical errors (head crash, spindle/servo motor failure, stick-shun).

There was a lack of correlation between elevated temperature and expected drive reliability. The graph only went up to 50 C, though, and I would expect a much stronger correlation once the temperature reached beyond typical max temp specs.

Findings:

* logical corruption may lead to data loss, but it does not necessarily mean that the HDD has failed.

* Also, after a first scan error, drives are 39x more likely to fail within 60 days. First errors in reallocations, offline reallocations, and prob ational counts are also strongly correlated to higher failure probabilities.

* A large fraction of our failed drives have shown NO SMART error signals watsoever.

* There was a lack of a consistent pattern of higher failure rates for higher temperature drdives for for those drives at higher utilization levels.

-> Some of the charts point to drive failure early on, and "survival of the fittest" and beyond 1-6 months not being a factor.

Charles Harvey- MacIntouch

Google's recent study says 6% plus of their drives fail before 5 years. They also point out correctly that S.M.A.R.T does not show any problems in over half the failures.

How does this help you? Launch Console located in Applications/Utilities folder. Run DiskWarrior (V4 I am not sure about other versions) and do a manual HD diagnostics check.

Ignore the fact that SMART found no problems.

Look for a line in the "Console" that says something like this:

DiskWarriorDaemon: [Mon Mar 12 15:48:12 PDT 2007] : Spare blocks for ATA device 'Hitachi HTS541616J9AT00', serial number 'SB0441SJGV5P4B', appear to still be available. (Total Available: 5) (Use Attempts: 0)

Use Attempts: = Bad Blocks that the computer has mapped out. "0" is a good number.
    Different drives will list different numbers for "Total Available"

I just installed this drive after replacing a drive that had used 22 out of 24 USE Attempts and showed no SMART ERRORS.

My rule of thumb is if your drive has over 10% of its "Total Available:" used replace the drive before it crashes on you.
    Last edited by TZ; 09-15-2007 at 04:27 AM.

Lightbulb

Customer Installable Parts for MDD

Also "Manuals" from any Apple page (thin submenu bar) and go to PDF manuals. Do It Yourself use to be Customer Installable Parts (CIP)
    http://www.apple.com/support/diy/

G4 MDD References and links
    http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19016

Mac Pro drive sleds: You can also buy more of those sleds in case you have more than 4 drives, and have some drives you want to be able to use temporarily and not take them off those sleds. Mac Pro Drive Sled - TransIntl

Formatting drives

StorageHard DrivesUnderstanding Hard Drive Performance
    A Guide To Hard Drive Selection
    Last edited by TZ; 09-15-2007 at 04:29 AM.