Thread: Repartition startup drive?

Much has been said hereabouts on the benefits of having a separate partition for OS 9 for the times one needs to run legacy stuff. Can't really re-partition in OS X when Disk Utility shows the startup drive as locked, true? Seems like a backup would be needed to restore files after the re-partitioning. Could one re-partition from an OS X install CD at the time of installing X "over" (in addition to an older install of) OS 9? I need to keep some flavor of 9 for the time being.

Sorry for all the basic questions. I am still struggling with the fear and loathing of moving away from (familiar) 9.2 to X, without losing functionality of my OS 9 software 'til it can be replaced with OS X equivalents.

I also see some folks use Classic and some don't like it. What gives?

Tom

[This message has been edited by TeeH (edited 04 July 2002).]

[This message has been edited by TeeH (edited 04 July 2002).]

From what I've read TeeH, it always seems cleaner and safer to isolate 9- whether its your system for use as Classic, or as a normal 9 startup volume. Personally, I've never had a problem with both system folders on the same partition. But I've chosen to play it safe in my latest config: I have seperate partitions for X, 9, and 9 for Classic. Some of the others will I'm sure be able to elucidate why this is important...

If you're going to partition from the install cd, you want to have all your stuff backed up first onto another drive- internal or firewire, or cds. Then partition and re-install X. For 9, you can drag your existing 9 system, apps, and files onto another disk, and then drag 'em back to a freshly partitioned drive, whether you're booted in X or 9.

I think it should be mandatory policy for Apple to ship their desktops with 2 drives.

I was thrilled when I first started using Classic. Apps were responding with blazing speed, and with the added benefit of protected memory, if a Classic app froze, it wouldn't take down you're whole system. Pretty much all my stuff is ported to X now, so I rarely use Classic. But its nice to build a lean Classic system folder; mine's 84MB, though I'm sure I could cut that back some more..boots in 30 seconds. Lotta stuff you don't need 'cause X provides it-

George