Thread: hot pizza box?

Just brought home two PCP 180 machines, blew them out and cleaned them off, both fairly stock units in the low-profile case. I have an unused 9gig drive I'd like to put into one of these but with 10K rotational speed am wondering if the dinky little fan is going to keep things cool enough to run for long stretches?

Do you have three fans, one directed on the CPU, one exhausting the power supply, and one mounted on the back of the case exhausting the case? My PTP with those three fans does a great job keeping things cool. I would think the PCP would be the same. k

The ones I have are the low profile cases. I was thinking I'd pull a 240mhz processor from a retired PCP tower and install it in the little guy but don't think I'll be able to swing the cooling the processor alone needs, much less a toasty drive.
    To answer your question, no, just two fans. The internal power supply fan and a somewhat centrally located one. not really all that close to either processor or hard drive. It's more like an in-betweener.

One solution to get more hot air out of the box might be to pull the power supply and install a higher cfm replacement fan inside. Of if you have a PCI slot free, a high cfm PCI slot cooler. 42cfm seems to be the highest of those http://1coolpc.com/slotho2.htm

Another possibility is a hard drive cooler http://1coolpc.com/hddho1.htm which I have used in many machines. k

Yiiiiiikes! Is that blue thing the monster truck of all hard drives or is that part of some kind of shroud? And the slot fan, 42cfm, jeez, if I cut slots in the bottom of the case I'd have the world's smallest hovercraft! But it would be a cool running hovercraft. I'm going to hold off on the drive for a week or so and shop locally for cooling gear. I had a Sonnet G3 400mhz card in it for a little while from a dead 7600 that stuck up about an inch too high. Was thinking I could just cut a little slot and let the card stick out like Lurch in a Miyata or maybe I add a hood scoop and a trans-am screaming chicken to the case. I really need to get out more.
    It'll work itself out but am wondering about this silly 2930UB card that came stock. The drive had been wiped so no old driver and none that I can find online. Or did it even have one or any kind of controller at all?

That blue thing is a heat sink that is spring loaded to press against the top of the drive. Then the fans blow across and thru the end holes of the sink as well as under the drive to cool its logicboard. k

Just had to throw in a comment, I had a great big chuckle over the scooped case and the "hover craft" cooling units, can't recommend the scoop, but I have the blue cooling fans on my cheetahs both at home and at work, they are great insurance for little money, as we found out at work when a fellow tech hooked up a drive in the proper bay, but felt the fan (or removing the bay cover for air circulation) was unnecessary, well, he had continual problems with crashes and instabilty until I "suggested" he pull the front off the bay cover and install the "Hover craft" coolers. No problems since then, but he credits the failure and resurrection to "space monkeys".
    Someday I will tell you all again about my erector set hard drive brackets, totally cool customization, if I say so myself, not quite the "scoop" thing though. Still thinking about a plexiglass side cover on the CPU case though, would love to watch all those pretty lites on my cards, blinking away....
    Terribly tickled...h

Still working on deadline...