Thread: PTP200 to G3 500/250 with scsi raid still rockin'

Hey guys! Are any of you old timers left? Kaye? Mag? Dragon? Louie? Trag?

Just taking a stroll down memory lane and thought I'd drop by to report that the PTP rebuild you guys helped me with is still running stable as a rock, and is still my favorite dedicated analog to digital capture machine in my stable.

I keep thinking I should buy new, but until this thing rolls over and dies, I think I'll just stick by my old girl.(of course I have a G3 biege I'm tinkering with, but that is another post altogether!)

As you may, or may not recall, back in 2001 I pestered Kaye to death with stupid questions on upgrading my PTP Pro 200. I ended up with a G3 500/250, a miles2, two 18 gig 15k cheetahs raided, and an ATI capture card that enables me to capture video in Premiere with no frame loss and burn passable DVD's with toast 5 while watching TV at the same time. This is still my main desktop publishing machine also, I have made many a brochure, wedding invite, etc. and the jobs just keep rolling off my old epson stylus 800 reliably.

I'm still having to uncheck write thru, but have had a great time, and I have all of you great folks to thank for it.

Before I wrote my first post my biggest operation was to install more RAM.

I lost track of you all when the site went down, and also because you taught me enough that I can courageously carry on my own upgrades now. I still can't get over how stable this system runs, especially considering it was never supposed to be able to do what we did with it. Also, It was great to buy quality hard drives, great ram, Miles2 card and G3 upgrade from your site. Time has shown they were the best products around in thier time. (Now I do sound old).

Drop a line and let me know how you all are faring if you ever get your hands out of the current box you are turbo charging!

Terrible Terri, Still Terribly Impressed with you all

Still working on deadline...

Hi Terri,

Very glad to see you back, apparently healthy, and still running your PTP solid.

Mag is still here as a Guru Emeritus, Dragon I haven't seen in a long time. Louie is still a Ruler and Trag is still here but I have not seen an appearance for awhile. I have an email to him that has gone unanswered for about a week.

I remember that uncheck write thru thing but still don't know why it was necessary.

My PTP250 now has a Sonnet G4/800 with miles2 in slot 4 running 2x X15.1 drives SoftRAID raided and a 10k Cheetah. Slot 1 now has a Sonnet Tempo?ΡΆ RAID133 card running two IBM 120GXP 40GB drives but not in RAID. Bluenote installed and running a Cuda 50-pin drive. All PCI and RAM slots filled and all drive bays filled. Running OS9.1 and 10.2.6. Love that old machine. The Sonnet G4 solved the G4 PCI slot problems that other G4s had, particularly slot 4, as well as some G4 memory problems that used to require deinterleaving RAM. k

I follow your rebuilds with some interest to this day, I wouldn't crack my case again, other than to add more storage, but I take my hat off to you for having taken a PTP where no other PTP has gone, and then some!
    At work we are updating our servers again, building off of what I learned from this site, we are saving money, and getting fast, reliable storage.
    The write through thing only applied to dual miles2's being used as a startup disk with some PTP motherboards, supposedly I'm losing a slight performance gain, but so what? I am still working faster, and my old friend still has more PCI slots than I can fill, even with my dual miles2's (each with a 15k cheetah raided, and my video capture card. Keep up the good work kaye, and yes, I am all better now, have a ton of metal in my neck, and the only drawback is my toes tingle during lightning storms! Have put thousands of miles on the Harley since then, without the surgery I would've been helpless in a short time. Thank you again for teaching me what I had to know to rebuild my machine, you are truly a patient man.
    Terribly grateful to good friends like you...
    P.S. Look forward to the sales site being up again, your guru folks were the best! Wouldn't buy anywhere else!f

Still working on deadline...