Thread: GlobalFax Problems

I've got a Global Village Teleport 33.6 Fax/Modem connected to my PowerCenter 150 MT upgraded with the XLR8 G3 450. I'm running OS 8.6. I've been running GlobalFax 2.6 software to send faxes since I got the machine. Two days ago it started freezing my machine when I went to fax, so I trashed everything and reinstalled the GlobalFax software. Problem is, I can now receive faxes, but can not send. I've been trying to fax documents out of Quark 4.1. It spools and connects to the other fax machine, but then I get a retrain message and then a negative confirmation. At the other end they are just getting my name and number at the top, but none of the rest of the fax. When I open the Global Village Fax Center, everything is there when I click through the pages. Tried Global Village, Apple and PowerCC support and no one will touch the problem. You all know more than they do so I've turned to you for help. Thanks in advance.

Do you have an HP printer? I could not have background printing on with my GF.

I do have an HP 4MV. Background printing is on and has been on over the past 2 years of using them together. I will disable and see if that helps though.

Whoops, forgot to ask - How do I disable background printing when faxing?

Your HP Printer should have no effect on sending faxes. You need to setup your Fax software again. The Fax Manager application should be in the folder that GlobalFax put on your hard drive.

I've set-up the software several times. There are not very many settings to adjust within the software, so I'm wondering if there is something I'm not aware of that needs to be adjusted. The problem lies in sending faxes. I can receive faxes - no problem. I can send the fax, it rips, it processes, it connects with the other fax machines, but somewhere, in their communication, an error occurs. It will go through the motion of retraining, loading, then when it goes to confirm the fax, it comes back as negative. The fax machine on the other end only receives my name and phone number at the top, but none of the content of the page. The preview within the Global Fax application shows everything correctly. I'm at a loss as to what is taking place. It has been working fine for me for several years, just when I had to reload it, has the problem occurred. I've re-loaded completely twice with no luck. 8 hours of tweaking and reloading over 3 days, and I've gotten no where.

Sounds like your initialization string is messed up. Reinstalling won't fix it. You need to delete the preferences file and let it create a new one when you set it up again. If I remember right, GlobalFax has it's own folder in the System Folder where the preferences file should be. Otherwise it would be in the Preferences folder of the System Folder. Just toss the preferences file in the trash and restart. Then go back and re-enter your info yet again.

Is it only happening when you try and FAX through Quark 4.1? We have to re-install Quark every once in a while when things stop working as they did, Global FAX was a bit flakey too as I recall....

I've scrapped all the Global Village software and have chosen to go with FAXstf from Smith Micro Software. The software gives me more options and greater control over my faxing/modem. It works very well with my antiquated modem that's no longer supported by any of the companies involved, which would probably serve owners of other modems to check it out as well if they are havong problems. Thank you all for your suggestions and help. I tried all the suggestions but none seemed to work.

FaxSTF is garbage. That is, unless they've managed to rewrite the whole program. I don't usually wade in and make such a flat pronouncement, but it's generally accepted knowledge.

This is the first time that I've seen anyone claim that it was better than any version of GlobalFax.

I appreciate your opinion regarding FAXstf, but for me, a program that works is better than one that doesn't and is no longer supported. Several days of down time trying to get my modem and the GlobalFax software to work together (my computer and GlobalFax had worked great for 4 years, just up and stopped despite reinstalling/deleting/etc everything) was just not worth it anymore. If you have another suggestion as to a program that will work better with my Teleport 33.6 Fax/Modem, I'm all ears.