Thread: xlr8 mach carrier g3 install woes!

I am in the process of installing an xlr8 mach carrier g3 500mhz, in my ptp250, that I purchased yesterday from gurus. I got distracted while performing the install and probably skipped some steps. I installed the xlr8 software first as instructed but then simply pulled the 604e card out and installed the carrier g3. It double booted properly and asked me to serialize the software. I had to shut down and pull the carrier out to read the serial number. I reinstalled and booted, saw a happy mac, extensions loaded, desktop appeared without any of the usual clutter or h/d icons and promptly froze. I did a forced shutdown and restarted. Now I ony get a 0 disk with question mark icon. This happens with the 604 card or the new carrier g3. I can hear the boot drive spin up for a few seconds and then no further activity. I can boot off of my OS CD, however. I should mention that my hard drives are controlled by an adaptec powerdomain 2940uw running firmware v.3. I'm using a PC to write you this message. please help. take pity on this wretched and bereft soul. I am as a man in darkness without my powertower :-(

I may have this under control. Please stand by.

Give the CUDA a press...and do a PRAM zap - it sounds like you corrupted something in the PRAM so it's confused on boot...

Chris

All is now well. I am enjoying undreamed of speed and stability. I think the problem was that I hadn't disabled the old motherboard cache. That and a cuda reset got my system right. Thanks for the help.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a CUDA reset? Is that one of the buttons on the PowerComputing case? I know the PRAM zap, but I have no clue about a CUDA reset. I'm going to be installing an upgrade in my PowerBase soon and this posting caught my attention. Thanks to anyone who makes me less ignorant.

--Kiahlin

The CUDA button on your PowerBase is located just in front of your floppy connector to the right of the logic board. You might need to push the hard drive & CD cables to the side to find it. After you've plugged in the G3 processor and removed the L2 Cache, press that button for about 30 seconds. Unlike any other PowerComputing system, I also recommend zapping the PRAM (Command-Option-P-R) during the initial startup. The Base, for some reason, doesn't properly setup the PRAM with just a CUDA reset. Zapping the PRAM corrects this oversight.